CHAPTER FIVE---The Tell

Even though I wasn't a criminal, I sat in the back of Dad's cop car, Dad, of course, in the driver's seat while Stiles was in the other front one. We were all eating take out from Inside n' Out Burger. "Mm," Dad said. "Did they forget my curly fries?" 

"You're not supposed to eat fries," I said. "Especially the curly ones." 

"Well, I'm carrying a lethal weapon," Dad responded. "If I want the curly cries, I will have the curly fries." 

"If you think getting rid of contractions in all of your sentences, you are wrong," Stiles said. 

Dad looked over to Stiles, then to me, and we both laughed evil, quiet laughs.

Dispatch was calling from the police radio. "Unit one, do you copy?"

Stiles' hand reached for the radio, and Dad smacked it. "Mm-hm."

"Sorry," he said, leaning back again.

Dad got the radio, answering, "Unit one, copy."

"Got a report of a possible 187."

Stiles had been eating fries while I had ate from my double cheeseburger, both of us stopping instantly, asking at the same time with food in our mouths, "A murder?"

We got to the video store, and before Dad even got out, he turned to Stiles, "Stay here." He looked back at me. "You're back there, you can't get out."

"And that's why you always put me back here," I answered back before he got back out of the car, closing the door and walking away.

Stiles and I couldn't hear anything from outside, but we could see, looking at Jackson Whittemore and Lydia Martin in the ambulance truck. "Oh, God," I said.

"Oh, no way," Stiles barely whispered.

Jackson was arguing with our dad when Stiles started to get out of the car, and I heard, ". . . which kind of blows my mind, since it should be a pretty basic concept to grasp from a minimum-wage rent-a-cop like you!"

I knocked on the window for Stiles to let me out, and he did, opening the door to let me out, and I stepped out of the car as Jackson yelled, "Okay, now, I wanna go home!"

Stiles and I saw the body bag on the stretcher being pulled out of the video store at the same time. "Oh, whoa," I said.

"Is that a dead body?" Stiles asked.

Dad looked back at us, and Stiles sank back into the car while I opened the back seat and sat inside, not shutting the door quite yet as Dad walked forward to the few people standing right in front of us. "Everybody back up. Back up."

I was just guessing that it wasn't a mountain lion.

"Just a friendly reminder," Mr. Harris said from the middle of the class. "Parent/teacher conferences are tonight. Students below a 'C' average are required to attend. I won't name you, because the shame and self-disgust should be more than enough punishment." He looked down to Stiles as he highlighted the chemistry book. "Has anyone seen Scott McCall?"

I sat next to Stiles, the seat closest to the wall, when Jackson walked in late, and Mr. Harris walked over to him, and then to the front of the class. "Everyone, start reading chapter nine." Without looking back, he said, "Mr. Stilinski, try putting down the highlighter in between paragraphs. It's chemistry, not a coloring book."

Stiles looked up, spitting out the cap to the highlighter and catching it as it fell down.

I saw him turn to Danny, Jackson's gay best friend that actually was kinda cool, but I didn't listen to the conversation. I had an almost D in this class, and I needed to raise it.