o n e

"be in love with your life.

every minute of it."

- jack kerouac -
_____

The stars appeared as if they were sitting comfortably on top of the goliath sized evergreens. A small gravel drive led off of the beaten path, letting Lydia know that she was one step closer to the unique little cottage that the landlord had described.

Before she knew it, the lights of her Fiat were shining on the side of a tiny, turquoise colored cottage. Although, little of it was visible due to the onyx night sky that loomed above her.

In front of the wrought iron door was a cherry red 'welcome home' mat that she just knew contained the key underneath it.

Sure enough, she pulled out an odd shaped golden key.

The little cottage was unlike she'd ever seen before. The entire cottage was open, except for the bathroom. The living room and kitchen meshed together in harmony, and over top was a large, homey loft that contained the only bedroom in the home.

The place was tiny, just enough for Lydia, but there was no wasted space in the harmonizing area.

Lydia immediately loved the richly colored wood, and the wide planks of white shiplap that dominated the walls.

Each item in the little house was mismatched, no two things appearing the same style or color, including the yellowish-green cabinets.

Lydia deemed removing her belongings from her Fiat too exhausting, as she had driven days with little rest.

The large bag sitting upon her arm contained a cozy sleeping bag, which she laid upon the floors of her new home.

That night, as Lydia's eyes fell closed with the inability to keep them open, she realized that without even a bed to sleep on, she felt at home more than she ever had previously.

Quietly, she spoke into the night, "this'll do for tonight."