Were we not important enough anymore?

"It's okay, he's not my priority right now", I say, forcing a smile.

"How are the boys?", Karlie asks worriedly. "I saw Luke being brought upstairs on a trolley and I was so terrified", Karlie says, starting to cry.

My Mom pulls her into a hug, and Stella starts to wriggle in Karlie's arms, ruining the touching moment.

We walk back to Noah's hospital room, and I fill them both in on the boys' conditions.

After about an hour, the nurse brings Luke back into the room.

He's naked except for his diaper, and he looks extremely pale.

He melts into my arms when I take him from the nurse, and he just lays there silently.

"He's a little shaken up, but the good news is that we did the MRI, and it's just a teeny, tiny bleed, so it will heal itself with some antibiotics. He's still very tired from the sedative, but it looks like you can take him home tonight, and he can come back tomorrow for a quick neurological checkup", the nurse says, smiling at Luke.

"Thank you", I say, sitting down on the chair with Luke.

"Mommy", he whispers, as he rests his head on my chest.

"Shhhh. You're okay, honey", I say, giving him his pacifier and gently rubbing his back.

My Mom is holding Stella, while Karlie talks to Joshua on the phone outside the door.

When she comes back in, she takes Stella and grabs her purse.

"It's almost 2pm, Tay, and there's no one at home for Ellie when she gets back from school, so I'll call Mike and tell him that I'll pick her up and bring her back to my house", she says, walking over and planting a soft kiss on Luke's cheek, and then she does the same to Noah, who still hasn't woken up yet.

"Are you sure? I can go if it's too mu-", I say, before Karlie interrupts me again.

Tay, I'm doing it, and you're not going anywhere'. You and your Mom need to be here with the boys. I'll go to your house and pack Ellie an overnight bag, and then she can stay at mine tonight. She's my goddaughter, I don't see it as a task", she says honestly, giving me a hug.

I thank her and she blows us all a kiss, before rushing out of the hospital to pick up Ellie.

"Dino", Luke whispers, pointing to the stuffed animal on Noah's bed.

He reaches his hand out to grab the toy, and I regret not bringing any of his own toys to play with.

I guess I wasn't exactly thinking about that when I got the call.

"How about we go downstairs and see if they have any treats in the hospital gift shop?", I say, standing up, being careful not to bounce him around, because his head was still very fragile.

"Treat", he whispers, closing his eyes.

I notice that it's a little chilly and he's still only in his diaper, so I grab a blanket from a shelf in the hospital room, but he starts fussing when I wrap it around his shoulders.