Chapter 1

Emily's POV

"Detective Fields! The Commissioner would like to see you now." I hastily get up and fix my clothes. It's about time honestly, I've been waiting out here, forever.

"Thank you, Director Cavanaugh." I answer politely making eye contact with him. He may be my best friend but he's still has more authority, over me and we are at work.

He discreetly holds my shoulder back, stoping me. "Good luck Em, he's not to happy." I give him a small nod and continue to the door.

I gently knock, "Come in." He answers from the other side of the door.

I walk in and I'm surprised to see someone already sitting in one of the seat across the Commissioner, Fields. Yes my dad is head in charge. And in all honesty I was hoping I would get yelled at with no witnesses around.

"You called for me, sir." I say with as much confidence as I can muster.

"Yes I did, that is why you are here. Sit."

I quickly do as I'm told, "This is officer Hastings," he takes of his police hat. Only he's not a he, he's a she. Without the hat blocking her, you can now tell she has a more softer shaped face and not to mention, a bun.

"Officer." I greet with a simple nod. She seems very shy, or scared same thing right? She's also pretty cute, but thats besides the point.

I can feel my dad side eyeing me so I quickly stop staring and face him, giving him my full undivided attention.

You might think that because he's my dad I have more privileges or get cut more slack. It's actually quite the opposite, if anything I have more pressure to strive for "perfection", since my father is basically the most respected and important man in New York. Besides the mayor. Law wise, that is.

I have worked and studied extensively for the position I've earned and currently in now. Which means a rookie officer, to captain, to corporal, etc. I mean I'm only 23 but I've been wanting this for as long as I can remember.

"Except Officer Hastings here, is now being promoted-"

"Umm that's great, Sir. But with all do respect, what does that have to do with me?" I question extremely confused.

He glares at me for interrupting but honestly why do I care I mean I've never even meet let alone heard of her before sooo...

"Like I was saying," he says harshly, "Officer Hastings is being promoted to detective, so I expect you to take her under your wing."

What?! Is he crazy! She looks like she's been a police officer for no more than a month and now she gets a promotion.

I rapidly get up, angered. "You can't be serious! She just a damn police officer and then just like that she's a detective!?" I say exasperated.

"Agent Fields-"

"And then you want me to, "take her under my wing" bullshi-"

"Emily!" He pounces out of his chair and pounds his hand hard on his "prestige" desk. "I will not! Tolerate such behavior and language, to be used towards or in my presence!" He proclaims in his most affirmative voice. Making the new "detective" look like she's about to shit her pants.

"I am not asking for your opinion nor your approval!" His voice starts to set back to a steady tone. "This is an order. You should also know that, detective Hastings is also the "damn" police officer that, excuse my language, saved your ass in the case that YOU were assigned and in which YOU screwed up on." I have this gut wrenching desire to roll my eyes but if I do, God won't even be able to help me.

I look down shamefully and sit back down. He takes a deep breath while fixing his uniform and sits back down as well.

"Now." He reaches down in his cabinets and pulls out to identical files, handing one to both me and Hastings. Yes me and Hastings, I go first because I'm more important.

"Is this a new case?" She asks.

Of course it is! Is she dumb. "Obviously." I mumble, making sure she can hear me but not my father. Okay so maybe I'm a little bitter.

"Yes it is. And I expect you both to work together reading up on it. So be ready for the conference that will take place in," he looks down to his watch, that I gave him by the way, "40 minutes. You are both excused."

She immediately gets up, "Thank you, Sir."

"No problem," he smiles at her and she's about to leave when he stops her, "oh and Hastings?"

"Yes, sir." She faces him.

"Once the conference is over you can change out of that," he chuckles, "tacky uniform."

"Yes, Sir." She says...again and leaves.

"That includes you too Fields." He says looking down at his paper work.

"Commissioner, I don't think that promoting a-"

He immediately cuts me off, standing up.

"I call the shots here Emily, I'm your boss. And I can also easily, might I add, make her," he says pointing to the closed door, "your boss." He says referring to Hastings.

"But sir, it doesn't make sense. Just because she fixed one thing that I messed up on, she gets moved up all these different departments. In that case Linda, the secretary, should also be promoted and a whole lot higher, she's saved my ass more times than I can coun-"

"First of all, she didn't just get moved up because she fixed your mess up, although that did play a major part in it. But also because her test scores were phenomenal, she was top of the class in all aspects and a fast thinker, but you already know that. She reminds me much like someone i know. Same determination, same drive and need to succeeded." He says eyeing me, I know he's referring to me. I roll me eyes.

He sits back down, "Now. Again. Study that case." He points to the file. "And cut the poor kid some slack, who knows maybe you just found yourself a new best friend...or girlfriend." He says trying to lighten up the mood.

I scoff, "Very, very unlikely."

"Just go back to work Emmy." He says looking back down at his paper work.

I just stare at him for a while, "Yes, Sir."

I get up, file in hand, and push in mine and Hastings chair, so much for being on top, kid doesn't even have the decency to push in her chair.

"Oh and Emmy." I quickly turn around. "Your mom is still expecting a phone call from you."

"Yes. Sir." I say mockingly feeling like Hastings. I roll my eyes at the thought of her. Hopefully she's not actually waiting for me, to work on reading this stupid thing.