CHAPTER THREE

A/N:

Picture of Jay on the side >>>

_________________________________________________

You see? All Alani does is sit on the computer upstairs,” I heard my sister say to all her friends downstairs. She acted like I wasn’t even there, or she didn’t care if I heard her not. Either way, it had me feeling some type of way. As much as I wanted to retaliate verbally, I didn’t. I knew that Jay would have came up with something even more insulting to make me upset.

I went downstairs, where the T.V. was turned on to 106 & Park. It was old—obviously recorded—but all Jay’s friends were screaming like it was brand new episode. When I saw on Ray Ray on the screen, my lips curved into a small smile. Jay stared at me like she wanted to say something, but didn’t.

“You know what’s funny? Your sister finally came out of her hole.” Jay’s friend, Alisae mentioned. At times, Alisae was worse Jay. She picked at me every time I came out of my room—and they always wondered why I stayed most of my days in there.

Don’t respond to her. You don’t need the drama. I ignored Alisae’s comment, and continued to stare at the T.V. Both Jay and Alisae glared at me waiting for me to retaliate. I could see them in the corner of my eye, but my eyes still remained on the T.V.

“See? She has no backbone. She can’t even respond, haha,” Alisae laughed along with Jay. I just glared at her, remaining silent. That was something about me—I couldn’t respond to discrimination. I was always quiet, because in all honesty, I didn’t know how to retort, retaliate, or anything like that.

When one of Jay’s friends changed the channel, I went back upstairs to the laptop. The room was dimly lit, and it looked so. . . sad. I was pathetic because the laptop and the internet were the only things I could call a friend. I took a look at Jay mentally—she had clothes, looks, boys, and the popularity. Back in the old days, my mom was the exact same way. I was like the black sheep of the family—the ugly duckling—I stood out like a sore thumb.

When I opened the computer, I got three missed messages from Rayan on Facebook.

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ : Hey.

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: You there?

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: HELLLOOOO!?

I replied immediately.

Aquaa Smith: Sorry , I Was Downstairs Watching 106 & Park . Anyway , What’s Up ? I’ve Been Bored All Summer . I Got Summer School Doe .____.

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: Dang, that used to be the worse .-.

Aquaa Smith: I Wish People Woulda Told Me That Before I Started Skipping Classes ! -.- The Struggle Is Too Real .

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεz: Aha, I feel you on that.

Aquaa Smith: So What’s Up With Rayan’s World ? You Been Working Hard Or Hardly Working ?

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: A little bit of both, lol.

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: Hey, I’m bored. Wanna Skype or something?

Those were the worse words a Catfisher could hear. What was I going to say? Everyone knew that I was bad at excuses, so there was the only thing I could do.

Ask Jay to help me out.

Me and Jay weren’t even that close, but really, that was the only option I had. Plus Jay had a very distinct teenage-girl voice. As long as she agreed to help me out with this, she would be a better sister in my book.

Aquaa Smith : How About You Call Me ? I Don’t Have A Webcam .

I went downstairs to see Jay about to leave the house with her friends. “Jay!” I called, walking up towards up to her. She rolled her eyes and sighed in annoyance. I never understood why she was so hostile about everything.

“I really need your help. Please,” I begged. Jay just stared at me, like she was waiting for me to continue. I had plenty things I could bribe her with.

“What is it? It better not be anything stupid,” Jay replied, tapping her foot intensely impatiently.

“I know it may sound crazy, but I need you to call someone and pretend to be me. I’ll tell you what to say and everything. Just repeat what I say. I’ll give you whatever you want, just please.” My eyes begged Jay. Jay looked at me like I was insane, and she had every right to. I just couldn’t let Rayan down, and this was the first chance I had of having a friend. No one has ever gave me attention like Rayan, even if we were only talking for a week.

“What are you gonna give me?” Jay inquired, putting her hand on her hip with attitude. I rolled my eyes and exhaled.

“Anything you want, just please.” Jay’s lips curved into a devious smile. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking about, but I could kind of guess what to category of her request would be. She’d do something that’d embarrass me, but I didn’t care—it happened anyways.

“OK, whatever. I’ll tell you what I want at a later date. Go get the number and I’ll call him for you. You know I’ll do the sweet talking, you just do whatever you do upstairs.” Jay smiled, “I’m helping you live your ultimate Catfish dream.”

I went back upstairs to go retrieve Rayan’s number. When I had it written down, I went back downstairs to give it to Jay. “Please, don’t anything to embarrass me. I’m really counting on you.” I gave Jay a serious look, but she returned it with a ‘whatever’-type look. I flashed a quick smile and went back upstairs. I had to come up with a quick lie to hold Rayan over until Jay decided to give him a call.

Aquaa Smith: It May Take A Long Time For Me To Call You . My Phone Is Acting Stupid , So I Have To Wait Until My Call Comes Through .

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: Oh OK. I can’t wait until I get to hear your voice ;)

Aquaa Smith: :]

ϴbℯƴ Rαyαn Ḻøρεẕ: I think your call came through! Brb, we can talk on the phone. :)

I prayed to God that Jay wouldn’t do anything to embarrass me, because Rayan is the closest thing I’ve had to a friend in a really long time.

But Jay was right.

I’m living the ultimate Catfish dream.