Amulets of Mara

Marriage. Such a small word that holds so much behind it. Marriage is more than just a ceremony where everyone dresses their best and pretends to enjoy being near Uncle Vinny who never does anything but tell his war stories and list reason why Tamriel was better back when he was a lad. Marriage is deeper than saying a few words and adorning each other with some simple piece of jewelry. Marriage is a message, a promise, a commitment not only to the one you fancy but to all around that shows just how deeply you care for a person, to be willing to spend the rest of your existence trying to make them happy.

Cicero knew all of this and more as he entered the temple of Mara. When his duties didn't keep him tied to the night mother or at his listeners beck and call he was at Acyline's side. Their meeting was usually allotted for the last week of every moon phase, where they would wander the woods or clear out bandit dens in search of treasures. But he had missed the past six months due to his responsibilities as keeper. To make up for so, this month Cicero came on the seventh, the anniversary of the first day he and Acyline had met. He pondered waiting until the Feast of Mara but so many couples did so he thought it too cliche of a day to share with his dearest.

He hadn't realized it himself but his gloved hands were shaking as the coin purse plopped down onto the priest's desk. The coins clinking together within the cloth sack the only noise made as nervousness gripped his vocal cords and froze his voice.

"You would like to purchase an amulet of Mara?" Maramal's enthusiasm seemed to stir awake Cicero's fogged mind, allowing him to stutter a soft "yes" in response. "Splendid! So nice to see the light of Mara's love shining in these dark times!" Taking a moment to fumble through a desk drawer before him Maramal finally produced an amulet, its gems glittering in the soft candle light. "Here you are! Be sure to return to set the date of your wedding!"

Without wasting a moment Cicero grabbed the amulet and disappeared out of the temple doors. The sun shone brightly through the sky, as though the goddess Mara herself were smiling down upon him and his decision to be wed. Taking the stairs two at a time Cicero flew down and beneath the archways that lead to the guilds secret entrance. On any normal day he would be hesitant to enter such a way, without his silver haired angel by his side. But there was too much glee flowing through his veins for him to care.

The stone release felt cool, even through his gloves as he activated the secret entrance. The large stone slab fitted into the ground to hide the stairwell slid backwards-not nearly quick enough for Cicero's excitement-until finally reaching a halt under the false tomb. He moved swiftly. Reaching the bottom just in time to avoid the stone's return to its original setting. Even in the dim light the wall sconce provided in the now suffocatingly dark passageway the amulet seemed to glow, sparkling through the darkness. He pulled it over his head, letting it shine on display against the deep reds of his jester garb.

As he descended the ladder Cicero could hear Brynjolf's gruff voice and Acyline's laughter echoing through the cistern in response. As he turned around a thief stopped him, demanding he leave. Cicero recognized him as Rune, who from what Acyline had told him got his name from a strange rock his adoptive father found near him at his discovery. Acyline expressed many times to him her want to find the truth behind Rune's past for him, but she never had the time between quests. He always admired her dedication to her beloved guild having given her entire life to rebuilding its glory even if he didn't entirely understand its people's ways. After a moment Rune recognized Cicero and apologized for inconveniencing him, returning to whatever he had been doing the moment before.

As he got closer, Cicero could almost make out their conversation.

"Me? Get married?" Acyline's tone was nothing short of utter derision. "It would take a very special kind of person for me to even consider marriage." In an instant Cicero's smile flashed through her mind, a smile she wouldn't mind being stuck with the rest of her life, she wouldn't mind at all. Though despite the admiration she knew he held for her, Acyline didn't imagine her jester ever thought of things such as marriage. "But that wouldn't happen." Brynolf sighed, muttering something under his breath about "stubborn lass" and walked away.