The Feast of Mara

The cistern was alive with merriment as the thieves of the guild drank to the last drop, sang to their hearts delight, and danced like there was no tomorrow. Tonight was the first of Morning Star, the beginning of the new year and what those around Riften celebrate as the Feast of Mara. It's a day of festivities and affection that warms even the oldest and bitterest hearts. Those who harbored secret affections purchased trinkets at discounted prices and admitted their feelings with those simple gifts like flower bouquets or gold pendants on this most romantic off days. For those who already had a love took the day to renew their vows at the temple, where the priests performed free wedding ceremonies all through the night and day.

But for those without that sort of fondness in their hearts, the Feast of Mara was a rather depressing day. Acyline, master of the Thieves Guild, was one of those people without a love in their life. Well she had someone, once, but it was only for a fading moment. 'Cicero...' she closed her eyes, trying to hold back tears at the thought of his name. What was it about being apart from that erratic jester that made her heart beat so quickly? Her stomach clench? Her eyes fill with tears? She had only known him for less than a day. 'Could you love someone in that short time?' Acyline never used to believe so but since she met him, almost three months to the day, she never had a restful night. Her dreams were filled with his laugh, his smile, his dark sense of humor. Just thinking about it drove her mad.

The moment had ended far too quickly when she fell asleep. But, why did she fall asleep? Sure she was tired from her journey, but it seemed like as soon as he held her in his arms, she passed out. How did that happen? Had he poisoned her? Put a spell on her? She thought about tracking him down and finding out why and how he put her to sleep, but it seemed no one had any jobs in Dawnstar. And unless it was on the job, her responsibilities to the guild kept her locked in the Cistern.

"Don't be such a downer lass!" Brynjolf, her best friend and right hand man, slurred drunkenly in her ear. "Here! Have a drink!" He flung a full mug of ale at her, almost hitting her face; but Niruin, a new initiate and master archer, shot straight through it with a steel arrow and pinned it to the wall. A loud 'HOOO' erupted from the mouths of everyone in the Cistern, echoing against the stone walls. The sound was quickly muted by the chatter of conversation as everyone returned to their previous entertainments. Brynolf returned to his conversation with his long-standing blonde conquest. In all her days in the guild Acyline had never seen Brynolf with the same girl, but this one had come back multiple times. It wasn't often, yet it stretched back years. In all that time she never got a full name but she knew it started with an 'm' or maybe...an 'L'?

Acyline watched as her friends mingled with one another. They all seemed so happy, she wished it could be this way all the time. She bit her lip, trying to stifle a laugh as Garthar, another new initiate, approached Vex. Ever since he joined he's been making passes at the blonde thief. Acyline couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for him. Whether unspoken, seemingly unrequited, or purely physical, Delvin and Vex have always been a thing. She knew that from the moment she joined. But Garthar still never got the message.

A sigh escaped Acyline's lips, it was another year she would spend alone. It wasn't that she was unattractive, or didn't have suitors...there were plenty of men who left trinkets in her Guild Master's Chest or handed them to her directly...she just wasn't interested in any of them. The only person she ever thought of that way was...out of her reach. A hush settled over the room. Acyline looked around to see everyone was either passed out or making out. She growled and left the cistern in a hurry. Once she was outside she took a deep breath, the cool night air calming her nerves.

Not knowing what else to do she walked over to the shrine of Talos that stood, almost barren of offerings, vigilant in the trees. She got on her knees and lit a small candle, praying for the strength to be good leader of the guild for another year. Footsteps approached her from behind, so quiet anyone else wouldn't have noticed, but she did. In the blink of an eye she was on her feet and had a dagger pointed to the neck of the shadowy figure that had crept up on her.

"Who are you, and what do you want?" the figure chuckled darkly, the shade of the tree blocking their face from the moonlight.

"Silly little thief you've forgotten Cicero already? Why, Cicero is hurt!" He stepped closer to her, the blade of her dagger now against his throat, as the light revealed the face of her long awaited jester. For a moment her heart leapt with joy and all of the fantasies she had had of him came crashing into her mind at once. Maybe this night wouldn't be so bad...But soon she returned to reality and took a step back from him. He was an assassin after all. With their last encounter she knew his reason for tracking her down, but this time there could only be one. Someone had ordered her hit.

"What do you want?" Acyline narrowed her eyes and pressed the blade further into his skin, drawing a bit of blood. She could see him wince and almost pulled back, but her suspicion wouldn't let her.

"My thief," 'His thief..?' the idea made her lip twitch in a small smile. "Are you afraid of Cicero?" He reached towards her, trying to touch her cheek but she flinched away.

"N-no.." She didn't know why, but Acyline was afraid. No one else made her feel this way and that power he had over her terrified her.

"Don't be, Cicero would never hurt you.." His voice trailed off, almost as if he was unsure of his words. For some reason, she believed him and put away her dagger. "Cicero is sorry for the spell I used to put you to sleep last time we met, its just...well..." He took another step towards her, his eyes full of a hunger for his little thief. She backed away, him following her closely, until her back hit the stone wall that surrounded Riften. He smiled devilishly and slammed his hands on the wall next to her face. She jumped and closed her eyes tightly, her fear returning.

"My thief..." he purred in her ear, trailing kisses along her neck.

"What do you want from me?" Acyline tried to keep her voice steady, but his lips made her skin feel like fire, a much needed warmth in the cold on the night. She opened her eyes and bit her lip almost hard enough to draw blood in an attempt to hold back her moans.

"Cicero told you before what he wanted my thief." He placed his palm gently on her chest, and his facial expression softened to a loving gaze as he stared down into her eyes. "Your heart." As he spoke he pulled a gold and onyx circlet from behind his back. Even in the dark Acyline could see a deep blush cover his cheeks as he lifted her hand and placed the circlet in her palm. "Cicero knows all about the Feast of Mara...I-it..well...my pretty little thief, you've been on m-my mind constantly. C-c-cicero m-missed you t-terribly..and..well.." he paused, clearing his throat. "I wanted to wait for the perfect time to come see you again..Cicero thought there would be no better day than today, to admit my feels for you." 'His feelings for me?' She gasped, her heart beating like a drum beneath her armor.

Acyline looked down at the circlet in her hand. The gold was smooth, perfectly polished and absent of any dents. The onyx itself was cut flawlessly and it's setting was masterfully placed. It was beautiful, obviously not made by any Riften crafter and clearly not cheap. She was speechless.

Cicero stared at her earnestly, hoping for some sign that she returned his feelings. But after a moment longer he lost hope and turned around, ready to walk away. Acyline quickly ran up behind him, and wrapped her arms tightly around his waist. It wasn't until then did she realize he was a full foot taller than she was, and his muscles were very well toned. She blushed at the thought but didn't let him go.

"It's beautiful." She whispered. He turned around in her arms and gently grabbed her chin, making her look up at him.

"Not as beautiful as you." Before she could respond he crashed his lips into hers, forever stealing her heart.