"What about all the educational decrees?" Dan asked, frowning. "They're legislation – they exist with or without her."

"Maybe so, but there's not a single teacher in this school that will enforce them if she goes." Phil said, satisfied. He took up his quill and resumed his doodle. "Oh, and by the way Dan, you really don't want to be putting bdellium in a sneezing solution."

"Really?" Dan blinked. "That was the only one I was sure of."

Phil shook his head. "With that madness you only need 2 drachms of red myrtle and you've got belch powder."

~

Transfiguration had gone from being one of Dan's weakest subjects to his strongest, thanks to Phil. McGonagall had noticed the improvement, and always saved Dan a small smile. The written exam had gone well, although Dan could pick out at least three questions he'd definitely got wrong, and the practical so far had gone without a hitch (McGonagall hadn't noticed that his teapot (which had previously been a large snail) was suspiciously slimy, and had vanished it without bothering to touch it).

"Epoximise." Dan said firmly. The two marbles snapped together, fusing with a satisfying cling.

Professor McGonagall picked them up and gave them a good tug, but their embrace was firm. She nodded curtly, making a note on her parchment.

"Very good, Mr Howell, that will be all. Your confidence in spell casting has bloomed. If you keep up this level of dedication to your studies next year, I predict excellent OWL results."

"Thank you very much. Professor?" Dan said suddenly.

"Yes?" McGonagall raised an eyebrow.

"Can I ask you something completely unrelated, if you have a minute?"

"You were very efficient with your exam. I have three."

"It's a bit silly. Just something that's been bugging me a while," Dan paused, chewing his lower lip. McGonagall waited quietly for him to continue. "It's about how the sorting hat, works," Dan said carefully. "Like, what factors it uses to decide your house. It's just, I'm muggleborn. There aren't a lot of muggleborn Slytherins. The only other one I know is in our house because he chose it." Dan wished he hadn't started speaking, this really wasn't the time, but it was too late to back out now. And if he didn't ask before the summer he'd have a whole six weeks to agonise over it. When else would he speak to a teacher, now lessons were over? "I've thought about it for a long time but I really can't think of any one thing that makes me so suited to Slytherin that Salazar would want me even with my blood status. I fit, definitely, but I'm not the epitome of all things Slytherin. I'm a comfortable mid ground. I was just wondering if there was a way to find out, you know, maybe ask the hat? I've spent five years here now. If I leave without ever figuring it out it will bug me to my grave."

McGonagall looked at Dan long and hard, her expression unreadable. Dan squirmed a little under her gaze. He was being stupid.

"I believe, and this may surprise you, that I will be able to answer your question without consulting the sorting hat, who is currently settling down for his long summer nap. However, I will need to make some enquiries before offering an answer to your riddle. It's certainly not something I can go into while Harriet Jenkins waits ever more nervously outside. I assume you will be catching the express home next week?"

Dan nodded, adrenaline shivering through his veins.

"In which case, I shall have to write to you over the summer. Was there anything else?"

"No," Dan shook his head, hurriedly gathering his things. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

Professor McGonagall nodded as he left, but behind her eyes she was somewhere else entirely and deep in contemplation.