In the Mourning

Though it was April, the warmth of spring hadn’t hit them long enough to keep the rain from chilling her to the bone as she sat there on that bench, staring off into the street. She should have seen Miri sooner, should have been more careful about letting Emma know things, and should have seen all of this coming, dammit.  

“I sat on this bench the night I found out Lily and James had died.” A voice said. Had it been any other, she wouldn’t have bothered with the effort it took to tear her gaze away from the grey nothingness of the rain-splattered road. Remus took the spot next to her, even though the bench was soaked through and his robes absorbed the water as soon as they made contact with it. He waited for her to respond and she gave him a look that told him she wanted more of an explanation.

“I was working over there,” he nodded towards a small pub a few doors down, “at the time, and someone burst in with the news. Everyone was overjoyed- Voldemort had been defeated- but the only part I heard was that my two best friends were dead.” He said, exhaling heavily when he had finished.

“I’m sorry.” She said.

I’m sorry.” He said, looking at her now. She bit her lip and put a hand to her forehead.

“They didn’t tell me. They didn’t…they let me just…the bed was empty.” She finally managed to finish the sentence, moving her hand to her mouth, pressed tight against her lips. He was silent for a moment, lost for words. No matter what he could say, he knew that sitting out in the rain would cause more harm than good, so he stood and pulled her up. She didn’t pull away, just let him lead her to the pub and sit her down at one of the tables and came back a minute later with something warm and steaming in a mug. She didn’t even look at what it was before she took a sip, making a face as she burnt her tongue.

“It’s hot.” He said, almost laughing. She cracked a small, joyless sort of smile before leaning back against her chair.

“So what are you going to do?” He asked after another moment, trying to keep her talking instead of letting her fall to the depths of her mind. She took a deep breath.

“I don’t know. I’m going to go to the funeral. Well, that is, if they don’t kick me out.” She said bitterly.

“When is it?”

“In two days, the healer said. Oh, bloody hell, I don’t even know where it is.” She groaned, holding her head in her hands again.

“Perhaps the healer knows.” Remus suggested.

“You’re probably right.” She sighed, taking a cautious sip of her drink. It had cooled enough, and she sipped at it until she saw the bottom of the mug peeking at her.

“We should probably go back.” She said now. He nodded and stood, following her out of the pub.

“One second.” He said. She stopped walking and turned to face him, a questioning look upon her face. He drew her close and kissed her. Ever since Emma had brought everything to light, they’d been spending less time together, being more secretive than before. It felt like ages since he’d been able to be this close to her.

“I’ve missed that.” She smiled.

“Soon we won’t have to.” He reminded her. They were both counting down the days until she graduated.

“Yeah.” She gave him one last smile before falling silent for the rest of the way back to the castle.

~

To her dismay, the healer didn’t know what time or place the funeral would be taking place, and Aurora was beginning to get desperate. She was beating herself up over not being able to say goodbye, and she was determined to do so the only way she had left. Finally, on the eve of the service, she sent a letter to her sister, Lindsay, hoping that she would take pity on the situation and let up. She knew it was a long shot- Lindsay’s adherence to the rules gave Percy Weasley a run for his money- but it was the only shot she had left.