In Consequence - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

The young miss paled and felt her heart skip a beat. “Is not father in his study?” she queried hopefully, her voice wavering slightly.

“He asked for you, miss. Your father remains undisturbed.”

“Very well, I will come directly,” she replied, endeavoring to sound composed.

*******

Mr. Thornton stood restlessly at the window, attempting to gather his thoughts, though his heart beat erratically in anticipation of her arrival. He dared to divine the full fruition of his fondest dreams - that his words would meet with her sweet approval and with his beckon, she would fall into his arms to find her rightful home and resting place.  

A faint rustling alerted him to her arrival, and he swung around to reverently watch as she silently glided into the room.

He moved forward with a tempered eagerness and, brushing very near her still form, closed the door behind her. What he wished to say would be for her alone.

“I trust your mother slept well,” he remarked in passing, feeling his mouth go dry as he assumed a position several steps across from her.

“Yes, my mother thanks you for your kindnesses on her behalf,” Margaret managed to respond with stiff formality, her eyes glancing at him briefly before lowering her gaze. She trembled inwardly to be alone in his presence, afraid of what he had come to say.

With a sweeping glance, Mr. Thornton hungrily took in the sight of her. She was beautiful in her queenly bearing, holding her chin ever so slightly aloft even as maiden modesty required that she avoid his gaze. Her small, delicate hands were linked gracefully before her. “I only wish I could be of more service,” he answered softly, the last words drifting from his lips. He stifled the urge to rush forward and take her hands in his.

“Miss Hale, I’m afraid I was very ungrateful yesterday,” he declared, rigidly beginning his practiced lines.

“There is no need to be grateful,” she returned immediately, causing a flicker of confusion to cross his face.

“I believe there is. I must thank you for kind attention....”

“Please, don’t speak of it,” she interrupted. “I only did what any one would to tend to one who had fallen. Surely, you need not thank me, when it is I who placed you in danger. I did not think...” she equivocated as a new wave of guilt bid her imagine how horribly he might have been hurt.

“Are you well today?” she suddenly thought to ask as she stepped toward him, raising her hand as if she would inspect his wound. Her eyes softened in gentle concern.

The wall of his reserve crumbled at this sign of tenderness, and he swiftly grasped her hand between both of his. “Will you marry me? That’s what I’ve come to ask you,” he breathed, his husky Darkshire accent intensified by his urgency.

She stared at him with widened eyes for an instant before hastily withdrawing her hand and turning her back to him, her heart skittering in frightened confusion. “Mr. Thornton, you must not speak so!” she hastily rebuked him. “I am sure you feel obligated to rescue my reputation, but I assure you that is not necessary,” she answered in quavering tones, struggling to edify her voice with conviction, being overcome with the strange hope that he should be in earnest and not impelled by honor.

“I had no thought for your reputation,” he answered immediately with vehemence. “I would gladly lay down my all to save your honor, but I wish to marry you because I love you...as I believe no man has ever loved woman before,” he declared with rising ardor, his breath coming quickly in his passion.