Chapter 39

"Let her go! Let her go, damn you!" Shikamaru screamed as the demonic being sat up slowly.

"Make me," it sneered at him.

"It will be gone soon," murmured the Hokage quietly. "It will be repressed back into Yuma's body..."

"What?!" The demon snarled. "What did you do?!"

He merely sent a small, cold smile. "You will see."

"You bastard... I'LL KILL YOU!" The demon lunged, but the Hokage did not move. No one did.

No one could. This was Yuma. Well, her body, anyway.

"Yuma, stop!" Shikamaru yelled, his voice cracking with tears as he witnessed the girl he loved, taken over by a demon.

Her body froze, head down, a meter away from the Hokage.

"Shika..." Her voice.

It was her voice!

"Yuma, you're better than it!" Shikamaru rushed out, seeing an opportunity. "You're strong, you're kind, you're fun, you're beautiful! It will only be a little longer! Hang on til then! DON'T LET THAT DAMN DEMON DRAG YOU DOWN!"

Everything went silent as his rant was ended, and he was left Panting for air as the others were left sporting wide eyes and slack jaws.

What a time to confess...

Yuma suddenly screamed, and collapsed, her body limp. From her chest exploded two colors of chakra, black and grey, taking two different shapes. The black,of a huge, terrifying demon that took up half the room. The grey, little Yuma, wide eyed and surprised.

"Yuma," Shikamaru whispered softly, reaching out to the girl.

She and the Akumuchi both looked at him.

"Shika..."

"You're sure causing me a damn lot of trouble, brat," the Akumuchi snarled, reaching for the boy as Asuma, Kakashi, and the Hokage dove between the two.

"Touch any of them..." a familiar, angelic voice said softly as an over powering aura suddenly filled the room, making the Akumuchi pause and the shinobi all but fall to their knees at the supernatural force. "And I'll kill you."

The Akumuchi turned to glare at Yuma, and the observers were surprised to see pure white beginning to swirl into her steel grey silhouette, as well as abyss black. In her hands were two, blood red, electric daggers made of chakra.

"You dare challenge me- ack! W-Wait! What's happening?!" The Akumuchi, though terrifying and thus far seemingly unharmed, hunched over in pain. Yuma's head tilted in confusion.

"The potion is taking effect," the Hokage murmured.

"Then I'm taking the bitch with me!" The Akumuchi growled, and, in a single, mortifying instant, his dagger-like, razor sharp claws plunged through the center of Yuma's chakra body's chest. Before anyone could cry out in panic, the two bodies were sucked back into the original, solid figure laying limply on the floor.

"Yuma," Shikamaru muttered numbly, stumbling forward. He fell to his knees beside the girl, who did not move. "Yuma, wake up, please." He picked her up by her shoulders, lightly shaking her.

She didn't move.

"Shikamaru..." Asuma murmured.

Kakashi couldn't talk, he didn't trust his voice. All he could do was kneel in front of Shikamaru, and take Yuma into his arms.

Shikamaru let him, though hesitantly, and felt his heart shatter as he did so. His eyes were burning, but he didn't want to cry.

She would've teased him if he had, if she could...

"Yuma..." Kakashi whispered, hugging the last of his family.

A soft whimper made all heads shoot up, and stare at the small girl in shock and awe.

Slowly, Yuma turned her head, and her demonic eyes opened, and narrowed at Shikamaru.

"Y'know, brat," the demon's terrifying voice growled. "I don't particularly like you."

With that, her eyes closed once more. Her hair faded back into its natural soft, charcoal grey. Her clawed nails returned to their normal color.

Her body fell limp once again.

"Yuma?" Kakashi called, jostling her slightly.

He got no response. She wasn't breathing. Not a single muscle moved.

The demon's brief return had lit a flame of hope within him. Perhaps she was still alive!

But... That kindling flame was extinguished by a harsh wave of agony as she remained unresponsive.

Yuma... Was gone.

Shikamaru set his head in his hands with a choked sob. He, too, had had that small tinkling of hope be drained away, and it was almost as agonizing as the first realization of her leaving them.

No, it was worse. So much more terrible. He couldn't stop the tears from rolling down his face in thick, heavy droplets.

"Yu-uma..." He sobbed, feeling his heart shatter.

~TO BE CONTINUED~