Calling in Dad

Leia

       This didn't make any sense.

        Luke was her brother. They grew up together. They could never... they would never turn against each other. Right?

        Leia ran through the jungles of Felucia until her legs refuse to carry her any further. She leaned against a tree to catch her breath. She didn't know what she was running, to, or more accurately, what she was running from. She needed to get back to camp. She needed to get to Onderon.

         Luke, can you hear me? Come on Luke, please answer me. You're okay aren't you?

       Leia bit viciously on her bottom lip. She couldn't stand not knowing if Luke was safe. Terrifying memories of the last time his life was in danger hit her head on. She could still see her father carrying her brother back from Rett Lisban's base. His blond hair was on ends from being electrocuted and a scar across his eye still remained. Leia remembered not being able to swallow as she watched her brother be carried into emergency care. The nights following that day were filled with nightmares and left her anxiously waiting for her brother to break out of his endless sleep. It was nearly a week after Luke's incident when Leia could bare the agony no longer. She disobeyed her parents and went to go see her brother in the medical bay.

        After mind-tricking the medical droid to allowing her into Luke's recovery room, Leia sat by her brother's side for hours and hours. When he finally woke up, she was right there to welcome him back into the land of the living. She had never been more relieved in her life.

       But her brother was star systems away now. He wasn't answering her and that meant something was wrong. Leia shut her eyes tighter and tried to focus on Onderon. She had mapped out the distance between Felucia and Onderon in her mind, hoping that that would allow her some extra advantage in contacting Luke.

       Please Luke, answer me. I've learned some things and we need to talk. Please Luke...

      "Leia? What are you doing out here?"

       "Luke?"

       A laugh escaped the being into front of her. "No silly. Maya." Leia opened her eyes. She was both disappointed and relieved to see her friend squatting in front of her. "How'd you find me?" she asked as Maya helped her to her feet. Maya grinned brightly. "I'm a Jedi too ya know," she remarked playfully. Leia gave a false smile. "I'm in trouble with Master Windu aren't I?" Maya's smile lessened slightly. "He just wants you to come back. He wasn't exactly happy about what you said."

       Leia sighed as the two began their journey back to camp. "Trust me, I wasn't happy about it either. But I just can't shake the feeling that Luke is in danger." Maya looked down at her boots as they fell in rhythm with Leia's. She spoke slowly; choosing her words carefully. "The dark side seems to be clouding everything. Do you think maybe you're being misguided by it?" she suggested. Leia couldn't help but feel the slightest bit offended at her friend's words. "I know my brother. And I know he needs me," she assured her with traces of hostility slipping through her voice.

       If Maya had caught the subtle undertone in her words, she didn't show it. She only looked on thoughtfully. Selfless as always, she was ready to offer any advice she could.

       "Why don't you try contacting your father?"

       Luke

       The gruff voice, Luke learned, belonged to a man called Barnabas the Cynical.

       "I hope you've had time to rest, Jedi," the Falleen pirate said when he entered Luke's holding cell. Luke sat cross-legged on the ground at the far side of the cell. He had spent all night playing prisoner. It was impossible for him to fall asleep and food was the last thing he could think about as he awaited his fate. He was, however, a little thirsty.

        "Because today, you'll be answering a few questions for me," Barnabas explained with an eerie smile spread across his scaly face. Luke stared down at his hands which were tied together in his lap. "Well I would be happy to answer your questions, but I'm afraid my throat's a little dry," he said indifferently. Despite his annoyed glare, Barnabas grinned. "Of course, of course! We're not savages after all. We treat all of our captives with hospitality!" he promised. He then turned to one of his men and gave a command in a language Luke did not recognize. The man disappeared and then returned with a steamy mug of liquid.

       Luke accepted the beverage and held it to his nose. It wasn't poison so he took a sip. Upon doing so, Luke was met with the bitter taste of what must have been some type of grog. The drink burned as is entered his throat and sent him coughing and sputtering. Barnabas and his men shared hearty laugh. "Can't hold your ale, boy?" one pirate asked.

       Luke set the mug- still full- aside and eyed the amused scoundrels. The bitter taste lingered in his mouth but he didn't allow himself to show his displeasure any more. Barnabas leaned down and took up the mug. "No worries. Not er'one has a taste for Rotgut like us fellas," he said before taking a long gulp of the beverage himself and tossing the empty stein back onto the floor. He took a long sigh before gazing back down at Luke with a nasty gleam in his eye. "Now onto my questions..."

       Luke narrowed his eyes. "You don't need to ask me any questions," he replied; his bound wrists moving ever so slightly. Barnabas blinked. "I don't need to ask you any questions," he repeated. His men stared at him curiously. A smirk tugged at the corner of Luke's mouth. "You're going to release me..." he instructed calmly. Barnabas looked around at his goons. "We're gonna release him."

         Unsure what their leader was thinking, the men reluctantly obeyed. They removed the rope from Luke's hands, all the while staring him down threateningly. Luke smiled and rose to his feet. "And I'm going to need my lightsaber back," he added. Barnabas looked down at his belt and retrieved the lightsaber hilt. He held it out to Luke slowly. "You're going to need your-" Barnabas leered. He pulled back the weapon. "Foolish Jedi..." he growled.

        "Did you really think I would fall for your silly game?"