The tears came flooding in a rush of panic for she couldn't fight Pierino in this weakened condition. She was defenseless.

Ginelle braced herself for the attack and stiffened with shock as something warm and solid slipped beneath her back and legs lifting her effortlessly. She stiffened in the solid arms wrapped securely around her and twisted against the masculine chest, frantic and afraid.

"Easy, little one." That voice. She knew that voice and the relief that flooded through her was so immaculate that she began to cry, not from fear but from the realization that she was safe, safe and with Dorian.

Dorian settled Ginelle on the bed, clearly taken aback by the fear in her eyes and the tears that streaked her pale face. She trembled beneath his hand as he reached up to push her hair from her face and she turned her head away to shield her eyes, to hide the tears that kept coming.

His jaw tightened.

Pierino. The name came to him along with the tide of fury. She had uttered the name many times. He realized just how little he knew about her and he had every intention of finding out just who this man, Pierino, was to her.

He continued to stroke her hair, loving the way the silken tresses easily slid through his fingers. His eyes drifted over her and realized in her fall the chemise had drifted lower, revealing a smooth creamy shoulder and the soft mounds of her breasts. He felt a groan in his throat and he shifted his eyes from the beautiful skin that had tempted him every night this past sennight.

"What frightens you, ma petite?" his voice coaxed her to look at him. When she turned her head, he was struck by how lovely she was in that moment. Her large eyes rimmed in thick, feather-black lashes wet with her tears, and he resisted the urge to lean down and kiss the tears from her eyes.

She said nothing but just looked at him. He reached out to trace her lower lip and she jerked from his hand.

Dorian shook his head, "I would not hurt you, Ginelle."

She wanted to believe him, so desperately she did. She had been so naïve to let her guard down. She had allowed herself a moment to trust a man and it had nearly cost her, her life. Pierino had come close to finding her. If she had not trusted Nathaniel as she had done, she would not have been in the garden and she would not have fallen into Pierino's hands.

"Who is Pierino?"

Her heart lurched in her breast as she jerked her eyes around to Dorian. How did he know about Pierino? She averted her gaze to the door, frightened to speak of the man whom she thought never to think on again.

Strong fingers circled her chin and pulled her head back around to peer into those intense, blue eyes. "You will answer me."

"Why?" she demanded, her voice dry as she spoke, "So that you can deliver me back to that monster?" she was breathless, her voice rimmed with pain.

Dorian frowned, "What makes you think I would do that?"

"It is clear to the both of us that you have not wanted me here from the beginning. Why must we prolong this any longer?" despite her unshed tears and the weakness in her voice, she lifted her chin with defiance, "You may send me anywhere but back to that man."

His eyes narrowed to dark slits of blue ice as he said, "Who is he to you?"

"Why does it matter to you?" she hissed.