If At First You Don't Succeed

Start from the beginning

"You must be the lovely Mrs. Austen. I'm the Doctor and these are my companions. We were wondering if it would be any trouble to meet your wonderfully talented daughter. We're big fans of her books."
Sutton did not feel the excited thrill that he referring to her as a companion had last brought. She was reminded quite suddenly of what actually happened to most of his companions in the end and her stomach churned a little more.

The woman, who she guessed was Jane's mother, blinked a couple times while uttering an, "oh".

"Jane?" She seemed surprised by the idea and Sutton wasn't sure if it were that her daughter had fans at all, or that they had trekked to their home to invite themselves in. Seeing that they had no intention of moving from the door, Mrs. Austen turned back into the house.

"Come in," she said. And if Sutton thought the woman sounded a bit flustered, she didn't point it out. "Jane, darling, you have some guests!"

They all followed Mrs. Austen into the house and into their humble parlor. Two other voices drew nearer as they took their seats on a stuffed couch, and Mrs. Austen headed back out of the room.

"I'll get us some tea."

The next moment two new women entered the room and Sutton sat up straighter, smoothing out any wrinkles that might've formed in her dress. Both had darker hair in curls that sat atop their heads in a similar fashion as Rose and she had done, and Sutton waited with baited breath as one stepped forward.

"My mother tells me I have guests, but I do not recall meeting any of you."

"We haven't met," Rose cut in, "but we love your works. We 're hoping it wouldn't be too much trouble if we came and told you ourselves."

Both girls paused in surprise and then the other, who Sutton assumed was Jane's sister, grinned and clutched at her sister's arm.

"See, Jane, what did I tell you? Only a week from the publishing date and you already have adamant admirers!"
Jane smiled in return, though it seemed like she might've been trying to hold it back.

"Well I am very flattered," she said. Both girls sat down once their mother returned with a tea tray and began serving it. Sutton accepted a delicate tea cup gratefully from the sister, who'd introduced herself as Cassandra, and let it warm her cool fingers before taking a sip.

"So," Jane's sister broke through the silence, "might we know the names of my sister's zealous followers?" She smiled cheekily and Sutton decided that she liked this woman. They introduced themselves in turn and Sutton couldn't help but tack on an extra sentence or two.

"I absolutely love Pride and Prejudice. Lizzie and Darcy have to be some of my favorite literary characters. Er, at least some of my new favorites."

"I am flattered to hear it. I must confess I am quite fond of the pair myself."

The Doctor reached into the breast pocket of his jacket and Sutton's heart sped up as she watched him pull the item out into view. It was not the watch at all. Instead, in his hands he held an old looking book. Not so much old looking because of wear and tear, but it was shorter than the standard size books usually printed nowadays. The cover was blank save for the title of the work. Pride and Prejudice.

"Would it be too troubling to ask you to sign this? Miss Regan here is too shy to ask herself, I believe."

Sutton reddened slightly as Jane quirked an eyebrow at her and smirked, though it was entirely uncalled for. She shot the Doctor an unappreciative look and smoothed out her dress again. Jane accepted the manuscript and pen that the Doctor passed to her and Sutton wondered if this was supposed to be some sort of consolation prize.