Aliens Just Don't Understand

Start from the beginning

"Thor wouldn't let me," Jane finally said. "And besides, I don't have any of my equipment with me anyway."

Loki grinned in delight.

[][][][][][][][][][]

Sutton's prophecy was quickly proven true, and all of Loki's planning made him quite forgiven and beloved by the people. Jane had only just arrived in Asgard and been found to hold the Aether within her body, and already the Dark Elves were upon them. But the palace was protected by a giant domed shield, and soldiers were at the ready at Asgard's borders.

If they had not been prepared for an attack, Thor shuddered to think what carnage Asgard might have seen. As it was, they still had a battle on their hands. But the element of surprise goes a long way, and it would be the elves' demise that they did not have it now.

Thor stood with his fellow warriors and waited to be the next line of defense if there were any elves to slip past the firing from the turrets.

"I do hope they aren't too disappointed that we spoiled their surprise."

Fandral brandished his sword with his usual flair and grinned at his friends. Sif frowned at his blithe attitude.

"You do realize that Asgard is being attacked for the first time in a millennia, don't you? And by an enemy which would gladly bring darkness to the entire universe."

"Well, naturally, that just makes it all the more fun!"

Hogan snorted out a puff of air from his nose.

"Now you sound like Loki."

Fandral drooped at the comment.

"Everyone is being so severe today. And unnecessarily harsh."

Thor had been watching the skies during the conversation and now spoke up.

"Prepare yourselves."

Ahead were a small cluster of elves that had evaded the initial onslaught. The group sobered and readied their stances as the enemy drew steadily closer. When the elves were in striking range, they threw themselves into the battle as they did with any other: with enthusiasm and full commitment. If anything, their fighting was even more brutal and tactical than it usually was. They always put their all into a fight, no doubt for every battle is life or death, but now they were fighting in their own front yard. There were Asgardian civilians not more than a short horse ride away from the chaos, and that added a level of severity to the situation.

Thor jumped high and struck hard, bringing his hammer down with such force that it felled ten elves alone. Sif was not far behind, and she struck two elves with a harsh slash of her sword as they attempted to attack while Thor rose to his feet. They nodded to one another, dual smiles tugging at the corners of their lips, before jumping back into the fight.

But the elves weren't to be underestimated for their weaponry was impressive. After almost five thousand years, it was easy to forget what sort of weapons they wielded, but Loki's research had paid off. They were a bit more prepared for the long distance guns, though preparedness only went so far.

"Don't let them throw their grenades!"

Thor was once again a flurry of motion. One of the dark elves had lobbed a grenade as he spoke, and Thor met it in the air before it could detonate. With a forceful swing, he used Mjolnir to bat it back towards them. It went off right in front of a group of five elves and they were instantly sucked into the miniature black hole with a sickening crunch. Volstagg cringed at the scene even as he kicked an elf in the chest.

"Ay; it doesn't seem too pleasant!"

It didn't take long before the Dark Elves realized that they had never had the element of surprise. And although their laser rifles and black hole grenades were devastating when they hit their mark, the Asgardians were still managing to push them back. An order must have been relayed to them, for all at once the Dark Elves stopped and made to retreat.