Is The Elevator Worthy?

Start from the beginning

"But if you put the hammer in an elevator..." Steve thought.

"It would still go up," Tony concluded.

Steve shook his head. "Elevator's not worthy."

"Oh, how I'm going to miss these little talks," Thor chuckled.

I rested a light hand on his huge forearm. "Not if you don't leave, Thor."

The Asgardian stood straighter. "I have no choice." We continued to walk as Thor went on explaining. "The Mind Stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. That's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us. Once all these pieces are in position—"

"Triple Yahtzee?" Tony wondered.

"You think you can find out what's coming?" Steve asked.

"I do," Thor replied.

We strolled outside of the base. It was a nice location. It was by a lake and the nearby forest encasing the base made it quiet from the outside world. It was better to have the facility here. There was less threat of loss of civilian life this way. And we got to test explosions!

"Besides this one," Thor remarked, slapping Tony on the chest, "there's nothing that can't be explained."

And with that Thor took his place away from us.

"Be careful, Thor," I warned. "We won't be the only one looking for those stones. You might not like who you meet on the hunt."

Thor didn't question what I meant. He simply inclined his head, but his eyes were questioning. He raised his hammer, and the portal of the Bifrost to Asgard met him, engulfing him in rainbow light. He disappeared, leaving a Norse symbol scorched on the grass.

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance," Tony huffed. We turned from the symbol and strolled to his car. "I'm gonna miss him, though. And you guys are gonna miss me. There's gonna be a lot of manful tears."

Tony pointed his keys at his Playboy Mobile and, as we walked, it drove alongside us.

"I will miss you, Tony," Steve admitted.

"I won't, though," I said with snark. "I'm still not a fan of you."

"Oh, you'll miss me, Andi," Tony said, draping his arms over Steve and I. "You'll both totally miss me. And when we get back together, we'll have a massive party."

I chuckled. "Okay. I'm going to miss our one-upping conversations."

Tony smiled, a smile exempt of sarcasm and wit. "I'm gonna miss you, Miss Mysterious."

I hugged him, which was completely awkward but comforting at the same time. "I'm going to miss you too, Shellhead."

Tony cleared his throat as he released me. "Well, it's time for me to tap out. Maybe I should take a page out of Barton's book and build Pepper a farm. Hope nobody blows it up."

"The simple life," Steve summed up in a somewhat longing tone.

"You'll get there one day."

Steve rolled his shoulders as he clutched his belt buckle. "I don't know. Family, stability. The guy who wanted all that went in the ice seventy five years ago." He sent me a glance. "I think someone else came out."

I saw Tony send him an 'are you sure?' look his way. I'd noticed it. It was sent my way as well.

But I understood what Steve meant. I gave up any chance of family and stability a very long time ago. But I felt like times were changing for me. Although I'd loved many men in my lifetime, Steve was the one relationship I felt like I could embrace for eternity, like the one I could spend a lifetime with. One that could actually work where the man in the relationship doesn't end up dead. I hoped that I could change his outlook on his life. I would make sure of that.

The opening of the car door startled me out of my thoughts as Tony prepared to head off. "You all right?"

Steve sighed, glancing at the base and at me. "I'm home."

Tony grinned as he started the ignition. "You look after him, Andi."

I instinctively slipped my hand into his and he squeezed it affectionately. I gazed up at him. "Don't worry, Tony." I smiled affectionately. "I'll take good care of him."

Steve beamed devotedly.

"Aww, you lovebirds are adorable," Tony remarked. "I'll see you two later."

And with that, he drove off.

Steve and I re-entered the base to find Natasha. It was time to gather the team. We had business to attend to.

"You wanna keep staring at the wall, or do you wanna get to work?" Steve interjected.

Natasha turned and walked with us. "I mean, it's a pretty interesting wall. I thought you and Tony were still gazing into each other's eyes."

I snorted. "No bromance there, Nat. Not anymore at least."

"Oh, I bet." She clasped her hands behind her back. "How do we look?"

"Well, we're not the '27 Yankees."

"We've got some hitters," Nat remarked.

"They're good. They're not a team."

She smirked. "Let's beat 'em into shape."

We entered the base's hanger. The new team was gathered below: Falcon, Vision, Scarlet Witch and War Machine. We weren't what we were, but it was time for some fresh skills. It was time to show the enemy what we were made of, and I was excited.

"Avengers!" Steve began.

It was time to have some fun.

❈Author's Note: Hey, there! If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!

Author's Note: Hey, there! If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!

❈Author's Note: Hey, there! If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!