Glad You Came

Jay felt extremely uncomfortable lying to Jes, but Antonio and Al had said it was best that she didn't know

Jay felt extremely uncomfortable lying to Jes, but Antonio and Al had said it was best that she didn't know. He trusted them because they had been on the force a lot longer than he had. If he was being perfectly honest, he was fine with a target on his back. It wasn't the first time; his squad had had targets on their backs all the time back in Afghanistan. He was fine with being a marked man, as long as it didn't end up on his sister's back too. The case they'd caught this time was tough, but his focus was more on Jes meeting with Atwater, Gaby and Matt about the house. He wished he could be with her, but Voight insisted he stay to keep an eye on Erin.

 He wished he could be with her, but Voight insisted he stay to keep an eye on Erin

Atwater had arranged for them to do the inspection in the mid-morning. Jes waited for him to come pick her up. She was sad that Jay wouldn't be able to come but she knew it was because of work. Work was important. She also hadn't been able to shake the feeling that Jay was hiding something since last night. Maybe Kevin would be able to fill in some of the gaps, since he'd been the one who had spent most of the night with Jay. She was jolted from her train of thought when the doorbell rang.

"Jes? It's Kevin, you ready to go?"

"Coming!" She grabbed her bag and left. As she locked the door, she asked. "Is everything alright with Jay? He seemed a little off this morning."

Kevin Atwater knew the truth, but he also knew Jay didn't want Jes to know anything about the bounty on his head. "I think that he was probably a little on edge from the raid yesterday." He prayed that she'd believe him.

"Yeah, I guess. He mentioned that he had to shoot one of the suspects."

"Yeah. Even with all our training, taking a life still sucks."

Jes nodded. "Makes complete sense. So, where's this house?"

"Ravenswood. It's a quiet neighbourhood. Lots of younger families and couples."

"Sounds good. What's the price range for houses out there?"

"It's a little bit high, but if you like the place, we'll negotiate a good price. The family already moved out. So we can close a deal pretty quick if you want."

"Sweet. You have a line on a vehicle yet?"

Kevin shook his head. "Not yet, but I am still looking. You really want a vehicle that bad, huh?"