Two

I was still thinking about the business card that the guy outside the Job Centre had given me when I was making Jakey's packed lunch later that night. I'd put Jakey to bed and was ready to head that way myself. I was about to make Jakey his sandwich and call it a night when I realised something; we were out of bread. With an exasperated sigh, I checked my wallet – I'd have to nip to the shop across the road for a loaf. Jakey would be alright for a couple of minutes, he was tucked up safe in bed. However, when I opened my wallet I saw that it was empty.

I swallowed. There was no money in my bank, not until the giro came through next week. I'd have to send Jakey to school without a sandwich tomorrow – I shuddered at the thought of what the other parents would say if they found out. But there wasn't anything I could do. I didn't have any source of income right now. I couldn't get a job.

I could, I thought, looking at the card in my hand. I swallowed. I'd heard that that kind of thing paid well, and how hard could it be to take your clothes off? Very hard, if it was in front of people. I'd always been self-conscious and I hated my body. But was my stupid insecurity really worth more than being able to feed my son? No. Not at all. I double checked that Jake was asleep, and then went into the living room and dialled the number on the card.

He answered after three rings. “Hello?”

“Um... hi,” I swallowed. “It's um. It's Danny. We met earlier today, outside the Job Centre? You gave me your card.”

“Oh, yes,” he chuckled. “And what can I do for you, my love?”

“Well. I've thought about it,” I swallowed deeply. “And I'll do it.”

“You will? Excellent!” he said. “So. When are you free for an interview? Tonight? I could take you out to dinner...”

“That'd be nice,” I admitted. “But my son's in bed...”

“I'll come to you then,” he insisted. “What's the address?”

“Um,” I was unsure as to what to say. I did need the job as soon as possible... and an earlier interview meant early employment, right? “It's 34 Jessops Road, Block B, Flat 46.”

“Brilliant!” he said. “I'll be there in ten minutes.”

I was regretting it already.

***

He arrived ten minutes later with two plastic carrier bags, one blue and one white. He smiled at me. “I was thinking I'd gone to the wrong place,” he chuckled.

“No, this is us,” I said. “Come in.”

“Thanks,” he said. I didn't ask him to take his shoes off, but he did it anyway, and followed me into the flat. “Nice place.” he commented.

“No it's not,” I shrugged. “It's too cramped.”

“It's... cosy,” he said. “And you've made it pretty.” I smiled.

“Thanks,” I said. I rubbed the back of my neck. “Coffee? I'd offer you a proper drink but I can't really afford -”

“Way ahead of you, sunshine,” he said, pulling a bottle of wine, one of whiskey and another of vodka out of the white carrier bag. “I didn't know what you'd prefer.”

“You shouldn't've...” I blushed. I wasn't good at accepting charity. He smiled.

“Don't be daft, I wanted to,” he said. “I could tell earlier that you were badly off – I wanted to do something to help. I stopped off at the chippy too – I figured everyone likes chips, right?”

“Right,” I nodded.

“I thought you said you had a son? I got him sausage and chips...” he said.