Threats

Disclaimer: I don't own anything. That honour goes to Marvel.

Freya stood next to Loki as they stood on the steps of Thor's coronation. She could sense Loki's jealousy and understood where he was coming from; after all, their father had often said that both his sons were born to be kings yet only one actually gets to be one. It had been clear from the beginning that Thor would claim the crown. He was the one who Odin paid attention to. That was why Loki was jealous. Not because of the throne, but because of the opportunity to make their father proud.

However much she could understand though, she couldn't feel the same way. As goddess of love, she found it hard to feel emotions such as resentment, and also, she simply didn't want to rule. To her it sounded boring and overrated; she would much rather sit down and play with some children than make new laws.

Noticing that the hall was getting cold, Freya looked up and shivered. Was that frost growing on a drape? It was. This can't be good, could it be...?

"Frost Giants!" bellowed Odin, just as he was about to crown Thor king. Everyone stopped dead for a minute, before all the warriors ran down to the Artefacts Chamber, Thor, Odin and Loki included. When down there, they found the corpses of three frost giants and two guards. The Destroyer had done it's job well, protecting the artefacts.

"The Jotuns must pay for what they have done!" came the sudden voice of Thor.

They have paid. With their lives," Odin said gravely, standing in front of the Casket with his back to his children. "The Destroyer did its work, the Casket is safe, and all is well."

"All is well?" Thor scoffed. "They broke into the Weapons Vault! If the Frost Giants had stolen even one of these relics-"

"But they didn't. Nothing was stolen, the threat was eliminated," countered Odin.

"Well, I want to know why," Thor spat, making his father raise an eyebrow at his attitude. Loki just looked uncomfortable.

"I have a truce with Laufey, King of the Jotun," Odin replied.

"He just broke your truce! They know you're vulnerable."

"What action would you take?" Odin turned on Thor.

"March into Jotunheim as you once did, teach them a lesson," Thor said harshly.

You're thinking only as a warrior!" Odin shouted.

"This was an act of war!"

"It was the act of but a few, doomed to fail."

"Look how far they got!"

"We will find the breach in our defenses, and it will be sealed," Odin said with finality, but Thor couldn't keep his mouth shut.

"As King of Asgard-"

"But you're not King!" Odin all but screamed, making Loki jump and Thor's face fall. "Not yet," he added. "Now leave. We will discuss the issue of your coronation later."

Thor stormed out of the chamber, shoving off Loki who tried to put a hand on his shoulder. "Brother..." But Thor was gone.