Chapter One

A.D. 982
Center of Transylvania

The dense, cold wove around the trees seamlessly. The only things heard in the isolated section of forest were the sounds of the natural world at peace, undisturbed. Owls hooted, rabbits and other smaller animals scurried across the earth into the bushes and brush, and wolves' howls reverberated against the rolling hills and into the valleys below. Only one noise sounded out of place-- the singular irregularity being the sound of a man swinging an axe powerfully against a fallen tree.

With each strike delivered, a thick, wooden branch crumbled, falling away from its source of beginning. Lucian kicked away the branch that was now in his path, starting to work at the bottom of the tree. Happy with the block of wood that had been severed from the rest, he began cutting the slab into more manageable pieces. He ran his fingers through the light brown hair that had began to fall out of the twine that his younger sister had insisted upon using to keep the hair out of his face while he worked. The scent of impending snow permeated the air, invading his nostrils with each breath he took. The wood in front of him and in the village would suffice. He surmised. For the first bout of dangerous weather, at least.

A flock of bats screeched and wailed above him. The horrendous noise ,a normal occurrence, was never pleasant-- or good for the nerves-- no matter how many times it happened. The sudden snap of a branch behind him caused him to tighten his grip on the axe he held. He stilled momentarily, knowing the sound to be caused by something larger than a rabbit. He hoped for a wolf, for the creature would be more preferable to deal with than the league of thieves and bandits threatening their village. A rustling of leaves alerted him to another presence at his side, the opposite direction from where he had heard the first noise. He hoped whatever (or whoever) only possessed ability of speed and that the group was multiplying.

Lucian whirled around just as the pounding of a flurry of boot-clad footsteps hit the ground. A blurred figure in tan and dark clothing, similar to his own, with nearly black hair and eyes charged at him. The figure in its entirety resembled a great, solid wall. A shout mixed with a tone of laughter sliced through the otherwise silent air as the figure dove toward him, knocking him to the ground. The axe he had been holding fell out of his grasp at the force of impact. The attacker landed blows against him, but ,obviously, held back which only served to infuriate Lucian more. Using his own weight and the force of a powerful shove, he flipped the assailant off of him, pushing his hunting knife firmly against the man's throat. The hair in the man's face obscured his features while the beard made the job of identifying the man even more challenging. Before Lucian could either begin his interrogation or eliminate the problem, the man began to laugh, and Lucian's eyes narrowed in irritation when he recognized the laugh.

"Razvan?" Lucian barked in disbelief in the practiced tone of an agitated elder brother. Lucian pushed himself to his feet, sheathing his knife.

"Good to know you still recognize me, brother. I feared you had forgotten."

"I've only been gone since midday."

"Exactly. You could have been eaten by wolves for all I knew." Razvan absolved as stoically as his playful character allowed.

"This is serious." Lucian argued, sensing Razvan's mocking. Razvan pressed his lips into a thin line in a vain attempt to hide a smile.

"Yes. Of course, it is." He replied, helping Lucian gather the wood lying on the dirt, forest floor.

"I could have killed you." Lucian griped, standing after filling his arms with a load of wood. Razvan scoffed.

"Hardly." He quipped, a mischievous twinkle flashing in his dark eyes. "Getting slow in your old age, Lucian." He commented lightly, ignoring the glare his brother sent his way. "How on earth you have not been eaten by a wolf is beyond me." He muttered. They trekked across the forest back to their village silently, a familiarly comfortable silence falling between them until Razvan spoke again. His voice was more subdued and quiet than it had been before.