Chapter Sixteen: The Last Exam

Start from the beginning

"Keep your voice down." Remus implored.

"Please." I said quietly looking around to see if anyone had heard anything. Luckily, the weather was captivating enough that no one was paying attention to anyone else. We were now heading towards our large Beech tree that we always sat under in the warm weather.

"Well, I thought it was a piece of cake. I'll be surprised it I don't get an 'Outstanding' on it at least." Sirius said settling on the grass.

"Me too." James agreed and pulled out one of the golden snitches that the school owned from his pocket.

"Where did you get that?" I asked.

"Nicked it." He said casually and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, well, I'm going to hang out with the girls. And, James, put it back." I told them, kissing Remus on the cheek before I walked down to the water where the girls were soaking up some sun. I said 'hello' and took off my shoes.

"I can't wait for this year to end. I was so relieved when Defence was finished, I don't think I could do another OWL." Mary yawned and crossed her feet.

"Yeah, I agree. This year was super stressful. Also, I think I have gotten more detentions than I ever have!" I exclaim. I couldn't even count the number of detentions I had gotten, or remember why.

"Ausie, you've had more than any of us, ever." Marlene said and we all laughed.

"Can we go onto the dock and dangle our feet in the water? It's getting pretty hot out here." Mackenzie asked and we all nodded in agreement.

"Sure, let's go." Lily said and we all gathered our stuff from the grass. We almost got to the dock but a crowd of people caught our attention by blocking our way there.

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me." I groaned as we saw who it was. Lily had already dropped her stuff and torn off to stop the boys who were bullying Severus Snape, a good friend. It was the Marauders of course. I could catch what they were saying before I got there.

"—Snivelly, wipe your nose on us?" Sirius said coolly and I smacked my hand on my forehead. I was still running over, in my bare feet if I might add, when I heard Severus talk. He was saying a stream of swear words, hexes and jinxes. Only, none of them worked because his wand laid some ten feet away.

"Wash your mouth." James said coldheartedly, "Scourgify." All of a sudden Snape's mouth filled with frothing bubbles of soap. He was choking and turning a little purple. That's when Lily and I got there.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" We said, simultaneously with furious tones. Lily rounded on James while I took up the rest of them.

"Sirius! What the actual bloody hell?! HE'S CHOKING! He could DIE! What were thinking?!" I yelled. I could see that he was taken back by my furiousness but I was down right raving, and wouldn't stop till I had gotten my point across.

"I—I—I." He stuttered.

"You weren't thinking, obviously!" I chastised. I could also pick up snippets of Lily's argument.

"—LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Lily shouted at James then I rounded back to my own yelling match between who I thought was my family, who I knew sometimes pranked Severus, but I didn't think they bullied him like this. Maybe I didn't know them as well as I thought.

"And you! You haven't done anything! Remus, all you do is watch, you're a fucking prefect! It's your job to never let something like this happen! And you, Peter, I don't even have three words for you. You follow them around and don't ever think for yourself! I thought you had grown some confidence these past years, but it's like you don't have a brain for yourself. You're pathetic! " I screamed. By now James had agreed to let Snape down so I rounded on him to say something.