Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The next day, I arrived at the Great Hall a little earlier than usual. I looked down the Ravenclaw table and I saw Cho. Not only Cho, but Cedric. I waked that way. "Hey guys," I said happily as I sat down.

"Hey Shay," Cedric said. "I totally forgot to tell you that we are dating." With that he smiled. I smiled also. I was happy he had a girlfriend and Cho was a really nice girl.

"Ya she figured out the other day," Cho said, laughing. "Adrianna sometimes can't keep her mouth shut." Cedric laughed with her. He placed her hand in his. It was adorable. They were so cute together that I was almost jealous. I was thrown out of my thoughts when Rustle soared down with a letter in his talons. It had my name in emerald ink.

"Who's that from?" Cedric asked.

"I'm not sure yet," I replied. I ripped open the envelope and pulled out a piece of parchment. It read:

Shayla Diggory,

Stay out of this business with Ginny's diary or else.

There was no identification of who sent it. It was definitely a threat. But, Ginny and I were the only ones who knew about the diary and this wasn't from Ginny. Cedric leaned over to look, but I didn't want him to know all this stuff. I quickly concealed the letter.

"Who was it from?" he said, his eyes narrowed. I knew he thought it was Draco. But, he was wrong.

"A friend," I said quickly.

"It better not be Malfoy!" he said loudly. Cho looked taken aback.

"It's not Ced," I said calmly.

"Let me see it then," he said. No way was I going to pass it over.

"It's not your business," I said.

"If it's not from Draco why are you worried about me seeing it?" he questioned. There was only one way out of this question and as embarrassing as it was, even though it wasn't true, I had to use it.

"It's from my crush!" I yelled. I blushed my cheeks so I'd look convincing. Cho looked at me with sympathy.

"Oh," Cedric said with his eyes pointed at the ground. "Sorry I didn't know."

"It's fine," I said, still fake-blushing. My mind trailed back to the letter in my hand. Now that Cedric was out of the way, I could look it over again and think freely. So this person knew about me seeing Ginny's diary. If it was from Ginny, she'd let me know. And the letter didn't refer to Ginny in first person.

Maybe someone had eavesdropped. I thought Ginny had secured the place pretty well, but maybe someone had heard the conversation somehow. This was an eerie threat, though, because I didn't know who to watch out for. I wasn't just going to stay out of this. I had a feeling that the voice and the diary were somewhat connected.

...

The next weeks passed by quite fast, until Halloween dawned upon the castle. It was a chilly, October Saturday and the whole school was filled with plump orange jack-o-lanterns. I woke up quite early out of excitement and jumped out of bed. Amanda and Ally were still sleeping, but I didn't mind waking them up. Ally was my best friend, and I didn't really care too much for Amanda anymore, so if either of them woke up, it would be okay.

I went over to my dresser. On top was the enchanted box that I had brought. I stuffed a letter from Hermione in there last night because I was hanging out with Draco and didn't want him to know about everything going on. But lately, the only things in my head were the voices I had been hearing. They feel more vivid now. Like I could touch whatever's creating them. The curiosity was killing me. What were these voices coming from? And why could only Harry and I hear them? But another question boggled me. What did the diary have to do with it?