Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I finally got to my common room. Cedric was standing there, just like he said in the letter. He looked bored and unhappy, but he was usually cheerful and happy.

"So Shayla how is school going so far for you?" he asked.

"Great," I said. "Hogwarts is amazing!"

"I'm glad to see you're doing good," he said. "How's Slytherin treating you?"

"Good!" I replied. "You don't believe all that stereotype nonsense about us, do you Ced?"

"I don't know," he said.

"Well I for one don't. I've met a few really nice Slytherins."

"Well that's great! Maybe the stereotype is wrong," he replied.

"Ya," I said.

"I'm glad you're doing good then," he said.

"Yep," I said awkwardly.

"Well we had better get going to our classes," he said.

"Ya bye," I said flatly.

"Oh and Shayla," he said.

"Yes?" I asked quizzically.

"Stay away from Malfoy. He isn't a good influence on you," he said . "Wow Cedric, you're not my mother," I thought to myself. How was he to judge what friends I could have and could not have, but whatever. I went to the common room door.

"Pureblood," I said and the door opened. I grabbed my stuff for Defense Against the Dark Arts and ran down the stairs. Defense against the Dark Arts was a blur. Not much of anything except girls going crazy for Lockhart. Honestly, I don't think he's attractive and he's so stuck up and full of himself to notice how unattractive he really is.

Soon, class was over and Amanda walked over to me. "You ready to have some lunch?"

"Yep," I said. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until she mentioned lunch. We made our way down the stairs to the Great Hall and took the same seats as breakfast.

"Hey Shayla," Draco called. "Come take a walk with me." Honestly, I just wanted to stay and eat, but I remembered he walked me to the common room so I felt obliged to walk with him.

"I wanted to know if you wanted to come to the Quidditch field to play a scrimmage tonight with the rest of Slytherin team?" he asked. "We want to recruit some new talent so we can win this year."

"Draco," I said suspiciously. "Aren't first years not allowed to play on the team?"

"Not exactly," he said. "But who said Slytherins played by the rules."

"Very tempting," I said. "But I don't even know how to ride a broom yet!" The truth is, I knew how to ride a broom pretty well, but I wanted to make him underestimate me. Then, I could shock him at my "natural talent". I guess Shayla could play dirty when she wanted to.

"C'mon you'll be great," he said.

"Fine," I said with a laugh. But, suddenly my mind went back to when Cedric told me not to hang out with "Malfoy" any longer. But, how was hanging out with Draco dangerous? He was so funny and nice and a good friend so far. I decided to shrug that thought off.

Suddenly, we walked past two boys. One was Harry Potter. I knew this from the Daily Prophet my mother always read. The other looked like Ginny so I assumed he was her brother Ron. Draco bumped into Harry purpousfully and yelled "Watch where you're going Potter!"

"You know what Malfoy?" Harry replied. "You're a slimy git and no one likes you. You probably paid that poor girl to be your friend!"

"As a matter of fact Potter, I didn't. She chose to be with me!" he said.

"Oh look Malfoy's got a girlfriend!" chimed in Ron.

With that Malfoy brought out his wand and sent a hex at Ron which sent him flying against the wall. Harry fired a spell at Malfoy, sending a green streak of light right at his face. Malfoy blocked it just in time. I just stood there, unable to do anything. "Why are you standing there! Do something!" a voice inside me said. But, I still stood there watching Harry and Draco send curses at each other when out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ron getting up. On sudden impulse, I raised my wand and yelled "Stupefy!" It knocked Ron out cold.

Harry then turned to me. "Cedric's sister, are you? Wait till he finds this out! Your first day and you are firing spells at people!"

"Shut up Potter!" Draco spat. But, I realized Harry was right. What was I doing? I wasn't even supposed to know that spell, but I watched Cedric perform it many times and I just fired it at Ginny's brother. Was Slytherin turning me rotten? No. Not on the first day, but I began to think: Maybe the stereotype was right, when a spell was fired right at my face. All I could see was black and then I lost concsiousness.