Friday Traditions

"I have to leave in about 15 minutes, Jess. I told Matt I'd be there by 8."

Jess mockingly pouted at her best friend, Kayla, but she was still disappointed.

Jess and Kayla had been friends their whole lives and had always done everything together. A few weeks ago Kayla had started dating Matt after meeting in their english class, and Jess and been fending for herself without her best friend.

It wasn't like she didn't have other friends, but with them it was so much more effort than with Kayla.

A few hours ago she left her part-time job at the mall and, feeling generous on payday, stopped to grab some Thai food to bring over to surprise Kayla, before they started their usual friday tradition of binging on TV shows. This Friday, Jess was hoping she could talk Kayla into watching Vampire Diaries. Kayla always claimed to hate it, but Jess found it hilarious to hear Kayla mock the plotlines. 

Jess felt embarassed for assuming they had plans, but was also a little resentful towards her friend for not thinking of letting her know that their friday tradition was off. The unopened paper bag of Thai food sat on the table beside them while they sat on the couch drinking tea. 

Since they started college at different schools this past fall, they'd been spending less time together. Kayla had always wanted to be a teacher, while Jess was taking classes in Fashion at Design school.

"You can join us, if you want?" Kayla said. 

"Thanks, but I don't want your pity invite." Jess replied. "I don't want to be the third wheel and watch you and Matt stare at each other all night, waiting for me to leave so you can make out."

"Oh, come on. You're both so important to me, I want you to be friends."

"It would be different if I had a boyfriend, then we could double-date."

"Well, why don't you get one then?" Kayla teased. "Seriously, stop being so shy. I don't know why you're so afraid of boys and embarrassed to let anyone know you like them. You're 19 years old! It's normal to have a crush." 

Jess blushed just thinking about it. She'd never had a boyfriend, and felt sick just thinking about being as bold as telling someone she liked them. She was hoping to that going to a new school and meeting new people would give her a fresh start, but she was even more introverted without her best friend by her side. 

It didn't help that there were only three boys in her program compared to sixty girls. Two of them were only interested in each other. And the third she couldn't stand. Jess didn't even know why Josh was in the program. He didn't seem interested in designing anything himself, only talking about all the expensive clothes his family bought him. And, as the only eligible bachelor in their classes, he was the focus of all the girl's attention.

"I mean it." Kayla said, "I'm only pushing you because I know you want to meet someone. But, you need to go after what you want. Even if it's just baby steps. Why don't you join a dating site. You've always loved writing to people, and I've seen you talk to boys. If you're talking to them online, they won't notice that you're completely unable to make eye contact!"

"I could never do that." Jess vowed. "I could never show my face again if my mom found it. I'd have to run away and you'd never see me again."

"Come on. Firstly, your mom is married, so she won't be cruising dating websites. And, second of all, if she were, she wouldn't be looking for girls."

They both started giggling at the thought. Until Kayla playfully pushed Jess, interrupting them. 

"Come on then, I'm already going to be late." Kayla stood, handing Jess the bag of food. "Let's talk tomorrow, I'm going to want to tell you everything Matt says."