Thea tried to wrap her head around what he was telling her. “What, he just throws them around the Underworld? Isn't that crueller? Why doesn’t he just let them rest in peace?”

Hermes shook his head, eyes straining into the darkness as he tried to locate the boat. “No, Hades refuses to let a soul enter the Asphodel Meadows until their soul is at peace. They must overcome their human problems and atone for the crimes they performed in their human life before Hades allows them eternal peace.”

Thea heard movement in the water and looked down. The water was pitch black but she had a feeling something was down there. The water rippled and unconsciously, she stepped back into Hermes. “That sounds reasonable, I guess.”

Hermes chuckled and she felt it reverberate through her back. “He's probably one of the better Gods you'll meet, though you won't think so at first. He's what most women call, ‘the strong, silent type’, so don't be offended if he ignores you.”

“Right. How does Persephone deal with a guy like that?”

“It took a while but she wormed her way past his cool exterior. Last time I spoke to her, she said she could barely get him to shut up anymore. I don't think I've ever heard Hades speak more than five sentences so I didn't believe her at the time.”

A boat appeared from the darkness and her eyes widened. An old man pushed a thin, knobbly stick through the water. He appeared to be wearing rags which hung from his emaciated body. The boat, long and thin, looked as though it had barely enough room to seat four people.

“How does he passage souls on that tiny thing?” she whispered. “It must take forever.”

“What a clever observation!” Charon snapped and she jumped. “I'm just one man, missy! If I had to push a larger boat of souls through the water, my bloody arms would break off!”

She knew Hermes was grinning behind her and she knocked her head back, head butting him.

“What?!”

“Don't laugh at me! I'm sorry,” she called to Charon. “I didn't think you would hear me.”

“Ah, so now she thinks I can't hear because I'm old,” he muttered as the boat stopped against the shore.

“No, that wasn’t what I meant -“ Thea felt like she failing and turned to Hermes. “Help me!”

He just patted her shoulder and walked over to the boat. “Hey, Charon. How's the water?”

“Shut up, messenger! Always bringing me extra souls, demanding my time.” He looked at Thea and snorted, his voice cracked with age. “You must be going blind, you stupid bastard. This one isn't even dead!”  

Thea couldn’t help but laugh and Hermes just grinned. “You're the one who’s going blind, old man, if you don't recognise who she is.”

Reaching into his dirtied robe, Charon pulled out a pair of cracked spectacles. Putting them on, he squinted at her for a few moments before cursing and throwing them in the water. “Should have known not to trust that bastard. Damn accountant who passed through a few years ago said they'd fix me eyes - what a load of bullocks! Come closer, girl, so I can see ya properly.”

Thea walked to the boat's edge and Hermes held out a hand, helping her onto the boat. It swayed under her weight and Hermes steadied her. Charon grabbed her free arm and yanked her closer. His breath smelled like he hadn’t brushed his teeth for centuries and she tried not to gag.

His eyes widened as he finally realised who she was. “Well, I'll be damned! Back again, Lissandre! Though last time I saw you, you were dead.”

“I've been through here before?”