When It All Falls Apart

Start from the beginning

"I didn't think those TARDIS blue envelopes in that filing cabinet were cool, though," the Doctor continued on casually, and this time, Amy actually dropped her glass as her eyes went wide, Jemma's hand clapping over her mouth. "Nice touch, though."

"Something you want to mention, J?" Saleen asked coldly, looking up at her best friend.

Jessie's eyes widened as she looked from person to person. "This is why you wanted to come," she whispered, shaking as she looked at the Doctor. "Ganging up on me now, are you?"

"What is going on?" Martha asked in confusion, standing up to walk over to the Doctor. "Let her go, will you?"

"I have no intention on doing that, thank you, Martha," the Doctor looked up at Jessie, anger in his green eyes. "I found out, eventually. Thank Wanda for the first clue-in. Thank the hotel for the other one."

Jessie swallowed hard. "Doctor, let me go, now."

He shook his head. "No."

"Don't make me do this."

He looked her in the eye. "Do your worst."

So she did. She swung her leg up, intending to kick him in the head, but he just ducked and twisted her wrist, forcing her to spin. She went with it, though, spinning to face him. She jumped into the air, kicking out with both feet, but he knew all of her moves. He ducked again and backed up as she landed on both feet, her hands outstretched. He mirrored her, the two of them on opposite sides of the table, looking like they were about to duel for their lives.

The mess hall had gone very quiet. "What the hell is going on?" Martha stared between them as she backed up.

"Jessie, don't you dare," Saleen warned, walking over as well, one hand behind her back, the other one held out as if she was trying to calm her down. "Don't you - "

"Don't you dare try and use that ICER on me," Jessie didn't even spare her a look. "I swear, Saleen, if you do - "

Saleen pulled it out anyway. Jessie cursed in Norse and made a slashing movement. A disc of Aether shot from her hand and knocked the gun away. A second disc made Saleen fly across the room. "Backup to the mess hall," Martha said into her radio, pulling the Ponds and FitzSimmons away, all of them staring in shock at the standoff happening in front of them, Fitz running to get Saleen back on her feet. "Urgent assistance needed. Something's happened with the Doctor and the Bad Wolf."

"Bad Wolf!" Wanda's voice called worriedly. "What's going on?"

"They know," Jessie answered. "Might need a hand here!"

"Pietro's on his way."

The Doctor didn't look angry anymore. He just looked . . . disappointed. For some reason, she would have preferred anger. "Why?" he finally asked.

"Why what?" she played for time.

"You know damn well what," the Doctor snapped. "Lake Silencio, going to your death. Two hundred years between the hotel and now. Why now?"

"Because I honestly thought I could keep living like I had been," she glared. "You rape my mind, and you expect me to be the same right afterwards?"

"What did he do?" Saleen's accusing glare shot to the Doctor.

"Not as important as it was back then," Jessie shook her head. "I understood why, but no way in hell could I forgive you after that."

"I didn't expect you to," the Doctor shook his head. "I expected every bit of hate you gave me."

"I didn't give you any," Jessie shook her head. "I could never hate you, not like I might have at one point. I could never hate you, I could never stay mad at you . . . but I could pretend I could. I could close myself off, keep myself distanced, stay that way and hope for the best."