Take Me On

Take Me On; The Boys Fight A War?

---

"I. Will. Destroy. You!" Soul growled as he mashed the buttons into oblivion. Black Star just laughed at this threat, but started to manically hit every combo on there. Maka, who actually set her book aside for this, was sitting on the edge of her seat. She was silently cheering for Soul. Kidd stood behind the couch, in between the two. Tsubaki sat next to Black Star. Liz and Patti watched anxiously from the corner.

Soul growled again and pulled a wicked combo. Black Star's health was cut in half. He shouted and slammed down, trying for a combo, but Soul's character blocked and and went in for the finishing strike. He snapped Black Star's character's spine then threw him to the ground.

"Finish him!" The game commanded. Soul gave a victorious shout and entered in a sequence of keys for the finishing move. Star's character was torn, limb from limb.

"Noooo!" Black Star got on his knees and screamed to the heavens. Soul kicked back with a smug grin.

"Told you I'd win. Now fork over my pool." He demanded. Black Star grumbled but handed him the 30 bucks. He glared at him. Soul just snapped the bill in his face before putting it in his pocket. "Come on, Maka. We have shopping to do." Soul bragged before standing and grabbing his coat.

"See ya here in a couple weeks, ok?" Maka looked to the group. Kidd nodded and she followed her weapon out the door. She caught up with him easily. "That was fun." She mused simply trying to make conversation. Soul remained silent. He was slouched over like always. She tilted her head at his silence. Shouldn't he be boasting or something?

They walked a few more blocks in silence before he turned to her and opened his mouth, then closed it again and turned away. She looked at him intently. "What is it?" She asked. She hugged her body since the night was falling along with the cold.

"Doesn't matter." He grumbled. He was hanging lower then usual. She frowned.

"It had to be something." She pressed. He gave her a dark look.

"Just drop it!" He snapped. She was stunned, but then complied and nodded. She stared at her shoes. What was his problem? He groaned loudly. "Look, I'm sorry. I've just got stuff on my mind. I'm heading back to the apartment. Here." He handed her his winnings. They were crumpled, as though they were held in a tight fist. "Go crazy." He turned down the nearest alley and started heading home. She stood in a daze and watched him go.

"How can he be so bipolar?" She hissed to herself. He had been on and off all week. She was sick of it. Then again, what could she do? Maka sighed and walked towards downtown. She walked into Soul's favorite burger joint and got him his usual order. She left and this boy ran into her. She fell into the ground.

"Ow! Watch it!" Maka growled. Looks like Soul was rubbing off on her. She stood and brushed herself off then retrieved the bag from the street. Thankfully the meal was still mostly intact. She spun on the guy ready to give him a piece of her mind when she realized who he was.

"Kyle? I-I thought you left Death City." She stammered. Kyle used to hound her night and day. First it was to be her weapon partner, then to be her boyfriend. He had definitely matured. His blond hair was shaggy and no longer made him look like a puppy. His blue eyes were sharper. His style was as far away from the prep he wore as he could get. She realized she had changed as well.

Maka started wearing her hair in different styles. She experimented with different clothing styles. Maka even went out as far as to start wearing make up, but today, she was just her usual plaid skirt, white shirt, yellow vest get-up.

"Well I'm back. I went and trained up and Maine and now I'm back. Heh, the heat is new though. I forgot how horrid it was." He laughed. She blinked. He even spoke more maturely.

"O-oh. W-well..I, uh, gotta go now. S-so uhm bye?" Maka stumbled away. Her hands were going numb from holding on to the bag so tight. She could barely speak herself. He...wow..Kyle.

"Maka! Wait!" Kyle ran after her. He pulled up but didn't put his arm around her and invade her space like he usually would. "We just found each other again. Can't we catch up?" He asked quietly. She flapped her mouth like an idiot for a few minuets before responding.

"I-uh, need to take this..to Soul. I guess you can come to my apartment I think." She still continued home. She knew this would end bad. He smiled and followed her lead.

15 minuets later, Maka was unlocking the door and smiling while Kyle told her about his master in Maine. She saw Soul sitting on the couch and staring at the tv, yet she knew he wasn't taking anything in.

"Soul! I got you dinner." She called. Kyle stood awkwardly in the doorway. She hadn't wanted them to meet. Soul swung his head over. Then his red eyes focused on Kyle and he bolted up.

"Why the hell is he here?" Soul growled. Kyle became defensive as well. She looked between them, confused again.

"He..knocked me down in the street and wanted to catch up so I invited him here." She realized now how crazy this was. Kyle jammed his hands into his pockets.

"Look, Hun. I should go. Here's my number. I'm free anytime. Especially for you." He winked at Maka, ruffled her hair and left. Soul was practically bristling.

"Didn't know stalker douchbag was your type. I'll keep that in mind." He spun on his heel and threw himself back on the couch. Maka groaned.

"What is your problem? You know it's not like that!" She shouted.

"My problem? He called you Hun! He's a creep and all he wants is to get you to spread those damn-" Maka couldn't handle it anymore. She crossed the space over to him and slapped him full across the face. He was stunned into silence. She swallowed her unexpected tears to explain herself.

"All you've been doing...is flying about in manic mood swings..and..and hurting people..and...hurting me...and..it's not ok! Soul...it hurts me.." She was gasping out her truth. It felt like her soul was being torn apart. Soul stood and grabbed her arms roughly.

"If you were hurt...you could've told me.." He let her go quickly. She stared at him with wide eyes. "I never wanted to hurt you...I was only trying to...I don't know what I was trying to do." Soul turned away from her gaze and ran a hand through his hair.

"What's going on with you? You can tell me anything...you know that." Maka begged her partner. He looked at her in turn with sad eyes.

"I can't..I..." He sighed and looked at his feet. "You wouldn't believe me." He waved her away and sat down for the third time. She sat next to him. Their hands brushed on the couch, yet neither drew away.

"Try me." Maka commanded. Soul took a deep breath.

"Don't move." He sounded scared. She froze. Soul pressed her against the couch and drew in close to her. They stared deeply into each others eyes. Soul's gaze fell to her trembling lips then to her again. She had no idea what was going on. Soul close the gap and kissed her softly. Then he pulled away.

"Jealousy." Soul stated simply before walking away and going into his room. She put a hand quickly to her lips.

"He...was jealous over me?" She murmured. She stared at his door. She couldn't see Soul leaning against his door, playing over the events in his head, savoring the feel of her lips. She smiled.

"Goodnight...hun..."