I Miss You Pt. 1 - His Reality

Cold metal pressed into the side of his head; his eyes watered as he glared at the floor.
"Choose," a raspy voice ordered simply, shoving something into his hands.

A gun.

If he were to look up, he would see two faces, one male and one female. They were the only ones he had left, the only ones he valued in this world.
The only ones they would use to force him into submission.

"Choose."

Again, the command came, and from the barrel of the gun pressed to his head came a soft click.
"Either them or you."

He'd never liked his odds here anyway, always living on the brink of insanity. He'd once found their ways to be reasonable, something to do with all the lies they'd brainwashed him with as he'd grown up - but once she came along, he realized how wrong he'd been, how much of a fool he was all this time.

As though spurred by the thought, his eyes slowly flickered upwards, wavering to and from the girl's visage in front of him.
No fear, no pain, just like always - but he could see the tension etched into her features, and that was all that bespoke her insurmountable fear. What would he choose? Who would he choose, rather - but who could decide between his brother and the girl he loved?

A glance to the left, and his heart sank. The boy before him was shaking so much that it was a surprise they hadn't tied him in place or something by now. Eyes darting around like a wild animal's, he managed to strike a chord in the otherwise pitiless werewolf's heart, somehow. How could he even think of shooting his brother, his own flesh and blood?

"Choose," the voice came again. "Now."

A small grimace, and his frustrated gaze shot to the side, where his real opponent stood hidden within shadows. More than anything, he just wanted out, beyond the walls of this damned city... The more Rose had told him about it, the more he longed to see it for himself. But stupid him, because once he attempted that half-assed kind of escape, he'd found himself right here, gun in hand, forced to choose between her and Arren.

Numbly, he felt himself raise the gun to eye level, aimed at no one in particular just yet.
Just like himself, it was made for one thing only:
Death. Despair. It was poison, and so was he.

And yet, he slowly cocked the deadly instrument, resulting in a hollow click that echoed between killer and victims.

A primed pistol lay in his hands, and he just stared, almost as though wishing that no, this wasn't his reality. Maybe it was a dream, and he'd soon wake up to find...
To find what? That he was still a prisoner to their misguided principles? That was the best he could hope for now.
But no, this wasn't a dream, and the knock on the head he received a second later only confirmed that much.

"Fire."

Though he stumbled, his shaking hands soon pointed straight out in front of him, aimed directly between the two targets.

On one side, a young girl with a death wish - because that was what it took to love him, right? She was brave and fearless, something that he'd always admired in her. She could take a bullet without even flinching - and would, for him. He couldn't bear to think about that.

On the other side, a young boy with fear in his eyes - but in a way, he saw himself in those eyes, the fear and pain he'd grown up with all this time. They'll use him, a silent voice warned him. They'll use him just like they used you.
But what was there to do about it? Already, their regime had taken his free will, just as it had taken his own. His brother would grow up to be just another mindless slave - and odds were that there would be no Rose to save him.

Slowly, his hands shifted to the left, towards the disbelieving eyes of his younger sibling. On his right, another pair of eyes warned him not to do it - Take me instead, she begged. He's done nothing wrong.
But it was what they'd someday make him do that was so wrong.

Disbelief met sorrow overtop the gun barrel; the elder's eyes flickered away at last second, just as he pulled the trigger.

I'm sorry, Arren.
The boy's body slumped lifelessly to the floor.
You didn't deserve any of this...

Just as he collapsed to his knees, the gun skittering from his hands to the tiles below, the figure moved out from behind him.
"Wonderful," it crowed in that disgusting voice. "But unfortunately, you made the wrong choice in the end."

His gaze jumped up just in time for a second gunshot. The girl's figure fell to the ground next, sending despair washing over him in waves.

"This is what happens when you trust too deeply, Kato," it sighed. "This is what happens when you allow yourself to love. Everyone will be hurt in the end."

×

I'm gonna do something with these guys too, I swear. I have so many plans, but not enough time to attempt them all... Oh well.