Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

            I wake up in my bed, barely remembering the night before. As soon as the sunlight hits my eyes, pain takes over my head and a million images flood my mind. I groan, thinking of my stupid decision of calling Josh to come get me. I don't remember anything after he pulled up in his SUV and asked me if I was okay. I passed out in his truck and here I am, stuck with this massive hangover. I'm never drinking again.

            I look over at the clock on my nightstand and see that it's already four in the afternoon. Now that I've completely wasted a whole day sleeping, I guess I should get up and get motivated. Though it's not like I really had that much to do or look forward to today.

            I unbury myself from my sheets and stumble to my bathroom, peeling off my clothes. I reach the shower and turn on the cold water. Preparing for artic rush of water, I take a deep breath and step under the water. It feels like little frozen beads are pounding into my skin, making my muscles tense and relax at the touch of each drop. This is probably the last thing that's recommended for a hangover, but it works for me. A freezing cold shower always sobers me up pretty quickly.

            I scrub last night's regrets off of me with a loofa and rinse away my embarrassment down the drain. The fact that I actually called Josh, just shows how drunk I was. I don't know what's harder to believe; me calling him or him actually going through with picking me up. Drunk-Brittany has more trust for him than sober-Brittany does, all the more reason to never, ever consume an alcoholic beverage ever again. Clearly alcohol impairs my judgment drastically.

            When I've had enough of the cold water, I shut it off and use a towel to dry off. I step in front of the sink and brush my teeth, scrubbing off the alcohol that's still on my breath. I seriously think that my drinking days are over, I'm done.

            I clean my toothbrush off and take out the contacts that I accidentally slept in, tossing them in the trash. I rub my eyes and blink a couple times until my vision is normal again. I don't normally sleep in my contacts, but when I do they make my eyes dry. I'll just wear my glasses until it's time for me to leave later tonight.

            Back in my room I notice a piece of paper on my dresser; I pick it up and read it.

            Don't forget about tonight, I'll see you at 7 –Josh

            I crumple the note into a ball and chuck it in the small trash can by my desk. I get dressed in a pair of high-waist cutoff shorts and a mint green crop top that flows with my movement. I towel dry my hair and run my fingers through it, combing out any knots. I put on my rectangular, black frame glasses and walk downstairs into the kitchen. Like usual, the house is empty.

            I open the fridge and freezer doors and stand in front of it for at least five minutes before I decide that I want ice cream. I pull out the tub of rocky road and set it on the counter. I grab a spoon out of the silverware drawer and yank off the lid on the ice cream. I scoop up a large spoonful and take my time devouring it.

            Just as I'm about to go for anther bite, somebody knocks on the front door. I stick the spoon in the ice cream and walk out of the kitchen, through the living room, and to the door. I swear to god, if Josh is behind this door I'm going to have a huge bitch fit. I don't even know why he was the first to pop in my head, but judging by his recent personality changes, it wouldn't surprise me if he showed up here to pull some kind of nice-guy act on me.

            I open the door, fully prepared to see Josh and go off on him, but instead I see Sam, hands shoved in his pockets and looking nervous. I smile, happier to see him rather than who I thought would be here.