[18] Cringe Worthy

Claire:

"And your first instinct was to come to my apartment?! Something of which I don't even want to know how you found."

My hands are growing incredibly sweaty by the second, so I take a moment to rub them dry on my shirt. The lights are still out, but at my comment Hunter's sobs slowly start to subside.

"Don't worry I'll be gone before he comes to finish the job." His no longer teary eyes narrow in an attempt to seem impassive. But it doesn't take a werewolf to know that he's scared. "I won't be a bother much longer."

He took my words the wrong way. It's not that I would wish death on anyone besides Peter, even then I'd still feel bad, but this isn't exactly the type of problem I need added to my life. My family comes first and we're in enough trouble as it is.

But still.

"That's not what I'm worried about." Lie. "I just thought you'd have run off to some fortress of solitude by now."

He takes a moment to wipe his cheeks with the back of his hand before responding. "I see you're still into those comics."

"Not much. I passed that trait onto one of my offspring." A simple shrug accompanies my reply.

However his eyebrows go up in an instant at my nonchalant answer.

"Kidding." I let out a short laugh to refrain from letting it get out of hand. "He's like my second little brother, and he ended up inheriting all my comic collection when I left for college. I don't know if you remember Stiles--"

"The twitchy one." It's more so a solid answer then question, but it makes me think of exactly how long it's been. And especially how much things have changed. Or rather how much people have changed.

He lets his eyes drift shut momentarily as he releases a heavy sigh. "To answer your question from before. I don't have or know of anywhere to hide that Jace doesn't know about."

"Jason." I state firmly, causing him to look over at me in confusion. "His name is Jason Redfield. Not Jace Wayland. He isn't the person we knew before, so don't bother getting your hopes up."

This is the first time I've been able to voice these thoughts with someone who actually knew Jace as much as I did. Unfortunately it doesn't help the sudden wash of sadness feel any less immense. By the look on Hunter's face the reality of what's going on with his brother isn't an easy pill to swallow for him either.

With a deep sigh I switch topics, assuming that we might not have much time. "I know some people that can help you out. They owe me one, and I just want to get rid of those favors. So just grab a flashlight, and stay put while I make some calls." I waste no time in pointing out where the rest of the flashlights are before grabbing my phone out of my bag that's still by the door.

An incoming message makes my phone emit a loud beep. I check it only to notice that it isn't the only one. I skim through the frantically typed messages.

We're at the power station and might need some extra help.

Mayday. Mayday!!!!

Your dad is taking us to the station.

Need a distraction to get out. possibly involving your dad getting trampled by a flock of goats.

All these messages come from Stiles and I realize that I'm wasting time here to help them in their obvious distress. And it must be some werewolf business if they don't want my dad finding out about what the heck they were doing.

"Hunter." I call out while hurrying to grab my stuff. "I need to bail some people out of jail. Don't ask." I add the last part for his sake as I beckon him out of the apartment.