[7] What You Know

Claire:

I huff out a breath and only just manage to open my apartment with one hand. "Alright um...let's get him into the guest room."

I lead the way trying not to let the unconscious Derek slip out of my wavering grip. We painstakingly set...okay accidentally drop, him onto the bed. With quick feet I run into the bathroom and come out with the first-aid kit before placing it down besides the bed.

"I'm Claire by the way." I manage a smile as I remove my jacket and look over at the young woman who was carrying Derek in the parking lot.

She looks like she can't be that much older then me, maybe twenty-four at the most, with matching brown hair and eyes. And judging by her attire she could possibly be a teacher but I'm no Sherlock Holmes so I wouldn't know.

Her own small smile slowly erases the awkward look of not knowing who I am, and being in my apartment with a passed out guy infront of us, from her face at the mention of my name. "Jennifer." She offers.

"So are you a doctor?" She asks quietly. I search through the kit for some scissors and nod my head in response. "Do you think he's going to be alright?"

I bite the inside of my cheek and look over at Derek who seems to barely be holding on. "I hope so but I've never seen someone this bad, not since..." I trail off and shake me head. Now is not the time to compare that situation with this one.

"He'll be alright." I respond with a tone full of as much hope as I can muster. But I think it's to reassure myself more then Jennifer.

As steady as possible I use the scissors and cut his shirt to be able to look at his chest. I gulp at how bruised, bloody, and cut it looks. "Alright I think the best thing I can do right now is—"

He hands randomly launches up, causing Jennifer to emit a surprised yelp and me to have a minor heart attack.

"Claire?" Derek mutters, trying to blink away his unconscious state. I hold a hand to my chest, feeling my pounding heart underneath and look over to share an embarrassed smile with Jennifer.

Man we're such chickens. "I'm here, Derek. Just go back to sleep and you'll be all better soon." I promise, earning a very small nod in return.

He looks like he wants to fight the sleep but eventually the toll on his body is too much until his chest is raising slowly up and down. "So...you have any experience in the medical field?" I turn my head away from Derek.

"Besides papercuts from grading homework, no, none that I can think of." She responds as she rolls up the sleeves from her cardigan. "But I've hauled him around this long so I'm not about to let him die either."

I smile in gratitude and with her help I'm quicker in stitching Derek up.

Making the last knot on the string I look over Derek and make sure we cleaned up all his wounds. The exhaustion is starting to weigh down my eye lids but I shake it away, remembering that I still have one other conscious guest.

Speaking of which, she steps out of the restroom having gone in to wash her hands. Jennifer's gaze lingers on Derek as I pull the blanket over him—and even after.

"Hey are you alright?" I ask. She flinches away from my outstretched hand, but I try not to take offense. I shouldn't blame her for being on edge especially after having to drag a beaten up and black blood oozing person around town.

"Do you like hot chocolate?" I question and catch her attention. "Cause I don't mean to brag or anything, but when you babysit as often as I use to you learn how to make a good mug." I lead us out but leave the door open incase Derek needs anything.