Speaking of Ashley, she says she has me a gift for my birthday—she was so excited about it. I assured her that a gift was not necessary, but she insisted.

As I was heading out the door for school, after gabbing the hundred my mom left on the counter for me, my phone rang and I smiled at the name on my caller ID.

“Hey you.” I answer.

“Good morning, birthday girl.” I could hear her smiling through the phone. “Are you excited?”

“About what?” I ask getting in my car.

“Getting my birthday gift, crazy.” She says cutely and I smile wider.

“I told you that you didn't have to get me anything, Ashley.” I say and she scoffs.

“Right.” She says simply as I pull off and head to school. “Like I wouldn't get you anything, Carlin. Don't be crazy. How long before you get to school cause I miss your beautiful face.” She giggles.

“I just left, I'll be there in ten and I'm starting to think you're only with me for my looks, Ms. Davies.” I joke.

“Damn, you caught me.” I fake offense. “You know I'm just joking baby. I love you for many different reasons, one being your looks though, I can't lie.” She laughs and I join in.

“I guess that's fine. But later, I need to hear all these reasons.”

“No problem, Carlin.”

“I think I'm gonna need you to stop calling me Carlin.” I joke. I actually love it when she calls me that.

“But...” She whines. “I like it.” She says simply and I laugh.

“I think baby would be more suitable.” I say as I pull into the school parking lot.

“I think you may be right, baby.” She says and my stomach flutters. I really wish it would stop doing that. “Are you at school yet?”

“Yep, just pulled up.” I say as I put the car in park. I reach in the backseat to grab my bag and when I turn around Ashley is standing in front of my car, grinning widely with the phone to her ear.

“Have you been waiting this whole time for me?” I say into the phone she smiles wider—if possible.

“Nope. I just got here too.” I smile back, knowing that she's lying. Of course we get into a staring/smiling match. If we didn't, we wouldn't be us. “You can hang up now.” She says taking the phone from ear and walking to the drivers side, opening the door for me. “I missed you.” She says holding out her hand for me to take, helping me out the car.

“I missed you, too.” I say as she pulls me into a hug. We pull back both still smiling. I look around the parking lot and see that there's only a few students here, and they are all the way over by the lockers. I grab Ashley's face and pull her into a kiss. It didn't last long but I missed her lips—I needed to feel hers on mine.