Part 6

6. In which she has to make a choice.

There was a simple explanation for what he did at the mall. But he was too exhausted to even justify any of his actions, because the truth was that he was such an idiot.

After he found out that Marissa liked someone else, he had an internal battle in which his curious mind told him to find out who her crush was and his heart told him to leave it alone. His mind had won out of course.

A few days later, he found himself face to back. The back of a guy named Charlie. Charlie was everything that he could've been, if it wasn't for his being expelled at his last high school. When he transferred to The Academy, he decided to lay low, which only lasted a few months. He was an outgoing person, and he loved all the attention.

It wasn't fun after a while, however. The guys he hung out with wanted to play with girl's hearts. By that time, he had just had a glimpse of Marissa, but deemed her unattainable and tried to date other girls. He's had about three failed relationships in his three years at the Academy. Sophie Turner was one of them, the girl he recently kissed at the mall, when Marissa saw him.

After discovering Charlie, he made the assumption that all Marissa would ever think of him was a good friend. When he went to the mall, his friends were being really annoying and so he did their bet just to shut them up.

It was a weak moment for him. How could he be so stupid? He had to fix this.

********

She hadn't spoken to the Kane boy for a good week and a half. She didn't know what to say. She didn't know what to feel. But she knew she was hurt.

Did all their time mean nothing to him? She thought they were reaching a kind of understanding. But then again, isn't this what she wanted? If they decided to pursue a relationship, she wouldn't be ready for the long distance. She knew for a fact that she wanted to go to school far away from home. It wouldn't be fair to the both of them.

********

The deposit for Boston University is due tomorrow.

Once she paid for it, things would be official. She would be moving all the way across the country.

Before she left, she would have to make things right with the Kane boy. She couldn't leave without being on good terms with him. The question is, did she also want to keep being friends with him?

********

The deposit for Boston University is due tonight.

Crap. He almost forgot. He was choosing between USC and BU, and decided that he would go the far route instead. His mother was against it at first, but later on warmed up to the idea. He could make friends with his second cousin that currently goes there.

After paying the deposit, he closed his laptop and plopped down on his bed. Looking at the ceiling, he took a deep breath. He grabbed his phone and called Marissa. He decided not to be an idiot and just make the first move instead.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"I'm sorry. I know what you saw confused you."

"Yeah, it did. I thought you were nicer than that."

"I am. Please believe me."

It seemed like a lifetime before she responded.

"Is your first name Lucas?" He smiled.

"Nope. Three more guesses for you." She laughed, and it was the most beautiful sound he had heard. It meant she forgave him for now. He hoped she would still be in his life later on, because he couldn't remember what his life was like before he finally gave himself the chance to talk to her.

I know, it has been a long time. I lost inspiration, and was about to give up the story. But then I logged on to this account after such a long time and was surprised to see there are still people who want to see the end of this story! The parts seem choppy but I can't wait to get to part 10 now! Thank you for the recent support, and I hope you enjoy this part. Again, it's kind of a filler type of chapter, but I hope I still captured the essence of the characters.