Part 14

Part 14

SANG:

Pete tugs me toward the club exit, and I'm slightly panicking. I know that Gabe would have clued in the other boys by now, but it's still unnerving to have a stranger's arm wrapped around my neck, pulling me into his stretched out body. I can feel his rib cage against my own--and his might actually be bonier than mine.

Once outside, I breathe in the fresh air, not even realizing how stuffy and gross it was inside--I had gotten used to it. Yuck.

There are several groups of people, and just as I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to interact with any of them, a mixed girl with actual dreadlocks flits out from under the arm of a massive Samoan guy with intricate tribal tattoos. He's like a younger Dwayne Johnson and he does not look happy that she's calling out for Pete's attention.

"Pete! Oh my God!" The girl skips right up to us and gives me a once over, smiling at me. "What's up?"

Pete pulls me in tighter and I feel like I'm leaning against a street lamp he's so wiry. "What's up with me? What the fuck's up with you?! Long time no see, babe. I heard you were going straight."

"She is." The giant Samoan's voice is deep and sounds more than a little pissed. "So stay the fuck away from her, Pete." He comes up behind the girl and pulls her behind him in a move I recognize from being in her same position many a time with the guys. He's being protective and taking care of her. I can't help but respect him for that. He wants his girl away from the nasty drug dealer. Can't blame him. I want to be away from the nasty drug dealer too.

Pete's entire body straightens, becoming even more pole-like next to me. His arm drops from my shoulders and rests behind him toward the waistband in the back of his pants. Oh God. Does he have a gun? My eyes are as big as dinner plates and I back away a couple steps. I glance around frantically, knowing the guys have to be somewhere.

Nathan's leaning against a car about twenty feet away. Victor's doing the same a few cars down. I try to be as inconspicuous as possible, putting my hand down by my thigh, curling in three fingers while leaving my pointer and thumb extended, making a gun with my hand, relaying the message.

"You sure you want to fuck with me, man? And in front of my new girl?" Pete's gaze whips back to me and I give him a sheepish smile, straightening my hand and smoothing my sweaty palms against my shorts.

The big guy looks at me too--with disgust. I want to shout that I'm not really with Pete, that I'm trying to help, but I can't. He looks back at the dealer. "If you try to sell to my woman again, no one will be able to identify your corpse."

Ohhhhkay. Maybe this guy isn't the best. I take another step back as I watch Pete's hand grip something under his shirt. Oh no.

Everyone freezes as a giant raucous breaks out to our right--a car alarm blaring and shouting. Pete's hand drops from his waistband and everybody turns to check out the commotion.

I can't contain my gasp. Kota has Nathan pinned against the sedan he was leaning on earlier with his forearm shoved into his windpipe. Nathan's face is shocked, and a tiny bit annoyed. His head cocks to the left as he tries to read Kota's eyes and learn the plan. I see Kota's head nod just a fraction, but I'm sure no one else noticed. No one ever studies these men like I do.

In an instant, Nathan has reversed their positions. He moved so fast I couldn't even figure out how he did it.

"Who the fuck are these clowns?" Pete sounds excited for the fight. He's completely engrossed.

I can't look away either. Kota manages to heave Nathan off him, and then swings an uppercut into his stomach. I slap my palm over my mouth to stop my scream. This is obviously my boy's making a distraction, but I can't stand to see them hurt.