Abraham intercede for Sodom

Chapter 18

20 And  the Lord said,  " Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave,

21 " I will go down now  and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know."

22 Then the mean turned away from there and went toward Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the LORD.

23 And Abraham came near and said, " Would you also destroy the righteous with the wicked? "

24 " Supposed there were fifty righteous within the city; would you also destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous that were in it?

25 " Far it be from You to do such thing as this, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous should be as the wicked; far be it from You! Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?

26 So the LORD said, " if I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes."

27 Then Abraham answered and said, " Indeed now , I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the LORD:

28 " Supposed there were five less  than the fifty righteous; would You destroy  all of the city for lack of five? " So he said, " If I find there forty-five,  I will not destroy it."

29 And he spoke to Him yet again and said, " Supposed there should be  forty found there? " So He said, "  I will not do it for the sake of forty."

30 Then he said, " Let not the LORD be angry,  and I will speak: suppose thirty should be found there?" So He said, " I will not do it if I find thirty there."

31 And he said, " Indeed now, I have taken it upon myself to speak to the LORD: suppose twenty should be found there?" So He said, " I will not destroy it for the sake of twenty."

32 Then he said, " Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak but once more: suppose then ten should be found there?" And He said, " I will not destroy it for the sake of ten."

33 So the Lord went His way  as soon as He had finished speaking with Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place.