[28] new messages!

Start from the beginning

it's a habit.

but taehyung, completely undeterred by my resting bitch face, beamed his squircle smile at me and waved profusely.

"you're here!" he began, radiating his joyous aura onto me as we stood on opposite sides of the doorway. i nearly cracked a smile.

he leaned in and placed a hand on my back while i awkwardly waited for the hug to end. i wished he'd stop touching me. he smelled like so much sweat and morning — with hints of fading evergreen-scented deordorant — even though it was about six in the evening.

"hey, ari!" his deep voice seemed to crack from excitement, not from my arrival, but from the pizza box he'd been eyeing all along, "and hellooooo large pie. how you zoin'?"

the box was out of my hands in seconds and he squealed, practically vibrating from the elation.

"you're so awkward," i shook my head. his contagious smile finally latched onto me for good. too bad he wasn't paying attention.

by the time i'd spoken, he was already swinging around the wall, chanting "pizza! pizza! pizza!" and letting out a hideous disney villain sort of laugh.

again, i had to shake my head as i removed my shoes. leaving them aside at the doormat, i followed and shoved my father's car keys into the pockets of my aviator jacket.

i took my bun down as i walked, just to look at least a bit presentable in case his parents decided to make a surprise appearance halfway through our meal. in retrospect, the whole tie dye shirt, joggers, and adidas flip flops look probably wasn't the best fit i could have put together today.

maybe it wasn't so bad for the occasion though. after all, it would just be taehyung and i if everything went according to plan.

"jungkook, look! areum brought pizza for me!"

and there goes my plan.

as i rounded the corner, i was met with the sight of an equally messy looking jungkook on the sofa. his eyes were trained on the large plasma screen on the far wall to my left as he tried desperately for first place in mariokart. he muttered a mindless hello to me while taehyung sat down and tossed the pizza aside to the coffee table. my lips twisted to the side of my face uncomfortably.

"you cheater, you unpaused the game!" taehyung whined, trying to mess with his friend's controller. jungkook leaned away, still in his own world.

sighing, i threw myself into the separate armchair to watch them play. my toes wiggled out of conscious boredom and i sprawled out across the seat, picking my phone out of my pocket. i couldn't even use it for anything; it was more of a crutch, since taehyung hadn't yet connected me to the wifi and my data plan was all used up for the next five days.

i just really didn't want to look this awkward.

"ha! i win!"

"fuck you and your red shells, okay?"

"don't be mad at me because you aren't about the drift life, kiddo," taehyung ruffled jungkook's hair. jungkook kicked him away with a smile, but the teasing continued, and so another game of mariokart began.