Chapter Four

"Yes, Madam. I am very sorry, Madam. Of course, Madam. I'll be there tomorrow, Madam." Miyumi forced herself retain her sangfroid even as the dread and fear started to settle in her personal Tartarus. She murmured more apologies and other various forms of regret before sliding her finger over the bright screen to end the call. Miyumi sat at her vanity mirror where she was already prepped for bed. Taking a glance, she found it fitting that her hair was already a glistening silver. Her eyes were gaunt, and her face was lit in a cadaverous light. Her body had aged before her mind.

"Was that your grandmother, Ojou-sama?" Tsubaki entered the room with a small knock on the wooden frame. He brought with him a small cup of warm milk, mixed with fragrant spices.

"Yes," Miyumi grabbed onto something at random, hoping for some kind of stability. "Thank you for the drink. You may leave me, and deal with your own businesses now."

Tsubaki heistated. Miyumi was never quite okay after an event with her grandmother. It was as if her entire character was debased after every conversation, and it took a while for Miyumi to recover from each strike. Nevertheless Tsubaki left her alone. It was worse when she had to be around company.

A quick glance at her lock screen could've told her it was already midnight, but Miyumi refused to acknowledge the time. She forced herself to work. Dark shadows would highlight her eyes tomorrow morning, but she would only cover them up with makeup when she had to meet with her grandmother. No one would notice. They never did. Why would they? She was an inconsequential illegitimate child who was just a replacement for the deceased rightful heir.

oOo AtSchoolTheNextAfternoon oOo

Miyumi had missed half the day already as she trailed behind her teacher. Nakamura-sensei tried not to stare at her face. She'd been given strict instructions to not question what had while Miyumi had been gone. Miyumi wished that she'd been given the chance to cover the ugly red mark that her grandmother's slap had left. The sting was fading, but the humiliation stabbed deeper.

"You should be grateful," Her grandmother seethed. "Instead you are a desecration upon our family. An utter embarrassment. What did your actions achieve? Why can you not follow my simple instructions?"

"I apologize, but I-" Miyumi 's defense was meek as she kneeled in front of her pacing elder.

"You!" Her grandmother's face continued to flare with outrage. "I am giving you a good marriage, but you refuse all of them. Do you think you are so valuable? Change your pretentious attitude, and accept the next match I get you."

Miyumi flinched from the memory, expecting the slap to come next. None of the other arrangements had ended this badly. She knew she was her grandmother's anathema, but it had never gone past acrimonious lectures. Her father refused to meet his mother, but Miyumi couldn't afford to disobey. No matter how many marriage proposals her grandmother shoved in heaps upon her, Miyumi had at least the power to refuse them. Not that her denials didn't cost her.

The halls seemed to stretch on further than Miyumi remembered, but she reached her classroom eventually. Half the people in the room were gone to buy lunch, but a few exceptions were left. They stared at her, but did not openly question her appearance. Gritting her teeth and tightening her hands into fists, Miyumi forced herself to get to her seat.

"Miyumi?" Kagami stared at her. It never occurred to him that anyone would have the power to hurt the unredoubtable girl. "What happened?"

"Nothing," Miyumi responded quickly. The words leaving her mouth before she was scathed by them. "It was my fault anyways."

"I think you need some ice," Kuroko lead her at the arm. "It's swelling."

"I am fine," Miyumi said. She stubbornly sat down, taking out the materials for the next class. "You two should continue your lunch."