Meeting With Thranduil

Start from the beginning

"What?" Fili asked, looking across the small bridge that separated his cell from theirs, "Why are you laughing?"

"It seems brother," Kili cleared his throat, still grinning, "That loving elves runs in the family." At that, he and Keerla started laughing again, only for Fili to join in as well.

It was a few hours before Thorin was brought down to the prison, in that time each dwarf had taken a turn in trying to free themselves of their cells. When their leader was shoved into one next to Fili, they all perked up and waited to hear any news. Keerla gripped Kili's hand a little tighter, hoping for the best though she knew it was worthless.

"Did he offer you a deal?" Blain asked.

"He did," his eyes glanced over to Keerla and she raised an eyebrow in confusion, "I told him he could go 'Ish kakhfê ai'd dur rugnu!' (I spit upon your grave!) - him and all his kin!"

Keerla muttered a curse under her breath and laid her head on the bars, while Balin closed his eyes with a tired sigh, looking frustrated.

"Well . . . that's it, then. A deal was our only hope."

"Not our only hope." Thorin said, subtly reminding the others of Bilbo still being out there somewhere.

They were brought food and water three times a day, though it was hard to tell when one day ended and the other began. Several times, the dwarfs tried to break the bars and dig at the walls but nothing shifted. By the end of the first week, Thorin had apologised for being rash in the meeting with the king, but also said he wouldn't change his mind.

It must have been sometime during the third week that Legolas and another guard appeared in front of Keerla's cell. She had heard them coming and released Kili's hand, but didn't move back from where she sat when they opened the door.

"The King wants to see you," Legolas stated, his voice firm as he grabbed the top of her arm and hauled her to her feet.

"Hey, leave her alone!" Kili snapped, reaching for her though the bars.

"What does your king want with her?!" Thorin demanded from his own cell.

"It is none of your business dwarf!" Legolas snarled in reply, and shoved Keerla forward.

She glanced at Kili and gave him a small smile, trying to reassure him before she was forced up the stairs and out of sight. Keerla was led up to a small courtyard where a tall elf with silvery blond hair stood looking down at a small pool of water. She recognised the area, the King's private garden given to him by the late Queen.

Her ears twitched, sure someone had whispered her name to her left, but there was nothing there when she looked. Thranduil turned as she was shoved forward, his blue eyes meeting hers in a cool glare. She simply raised her eyebrow, Thranduil's glares had never affected her, part of the reason she did so well while working for him.

He lifted his hand, dismissing the guard and Legolas with a wave, but while the guard left Legolas stayed where he was.

"Do you really believe she'd try anything with those dwarfs locked in the prison?" the king asked, glancing at his son, then back to Keerla, "She is loyal to a fault, she would never risk them."

"There is no fault in my loyalty," she replied blandly. "I give it to those who follow the path, and take it from those who lose their way."

Legolas glared at her, but turned back to his father and crossed his arms, "I want to hear what she has to say."

Thranduil said nothing more to his son, simply turned back to Keerla and circled her, his hands behind his back. He spoke gently, asking her in kind words about her reasons for travelling with a group of dwarfs, about what they were planning and where they were going. However he seemed to grow frustrated when all she did was cross her arms, and follow him with her eyes.