Chapter 4-Life

A sudden mew split the cold, lonely
silence. The cats of ThunderClan all jumped slightly, their fur on end. Their ears pricked towards the noise, listening. "What was that?" Sandpaw asked.
But she knew. They all knew. "It's . . . it's a kit," Firepaw whispered. "Where?" Graypaw questioned him. "None of our queens are giving birth, so where's it coming from?" Forepaw didn't answer. Before Graypaw even finished his sentence, the ginger apprentice had disappeared through then tunnel.
"Nobody ever listens . . ." Graypaw muttered, following his friend. Bluestar trailed after them, her whiskers twitching. Forepaw lead his leader and friend through the undergrowth and found an abandoned fox den. He sniffed inside.
The stale scent of fox and dampness overlaid a faint, sweeter smell. Cautiously, Firepaw crept inside. "Firepaw, be careful," Bluestar whispered behind him.
He padded down further until he came to an open area, with roots sticking out of its rounded sides. In the gloom, Firepaw could make out a small bundle of mewling tortoiseshell fur.
Firepaw gasped. This kitten wasn't even half a moon old! Not even a day old! It looked as if it was just born, but what kind of a mother would give birth and leave a helpless kit in a fox den, of all places?
Forepaw also noticed that this pathetic bundle strongly resembled Spottedleaf, but he tried not to think of that. Shaking out his fur, he picked up the mewing kit by her scruff.
She went instantly limp and silent, and only the quick, loud beating of her heart told him that she was alive. It seemed to be the only noise in this cramped, mucky den, echoing off the walls.
Firepaw sped up, feeling trapped, and exploded from the entrance, panting.
"Oh, StarClan," Bluestar murmured, staring at the hanging bundle in his jaws. "Wow, it is a kit!" Graypaw exclaimed, awestruck. "Where did it come from?"
"I don't know," Firepaw answered. He looked to Bluestar. "We need to bring it back to camp," he mewed. Bluestar nodded. "Of course. We can give her to Frostfur to care for."