It Was Just A Fight

~Carmen~

I woke up with a massive headache. I didn't want to do anything but go back to sleep after feeling that pain. Actually, all over hurt like hell. My shoulder, my stomach, ankle, hands, just everything was on fire and burned like the flames of hell.

I felt I was on a pair of legs, or at least my head was. I blinked a few times and looked up to see who the legs belonged to. I hoped they were George's, or even Katie's, but they belonged to this black guy. HE was normal looking. Cute, but not something you'd look twice at.

I took a deep breath, but that even hurt. He looked down at me with big brown eyes and smiled. "You're up," he said.

"Where am I?" I asked him.

"On this army truck. We're going to a camp to keep us safe, okay?" I nodded, and laid my head straight on his legs. "How do you feel?"

"Like a truck hit me."

He chuckled and laid a hand gently on my head. "You looked like a truck hit you when I got to you."

I sighed and looked up at him. "I think I know who you are." I said. My voice was very raspy, like someone just threw sand down my throat and left it there. It hurt to do anything really. And-now that he said something-this ride was very bumpy and very rough, making everything hurt ten times worse.

But I wasn't lying. I knew him. He was my cousin's boyfriend. "Really?" He asked. "How? Did you go to my school?"

I shook my head. "You're Lani's boyfriend. She's my cousin."

"Really?" He asked. I nodded, which shot waves of pain through my body. "Stay still, okay?"

"Okay," I croaked. Damn my thraot felt like razors were scraping against it. It hurt a lot. "She talked about you alot," I told him. "Every time she came over my house, she would be texting you, and rolling around on my bed and squealing whenever you would say something romantic."

"She did?"

I nodded. "Yeah. And sometimes she would say 'Carmen. Can you come with me?' and she'd take me to places where a lot of homeless people were, and she'd give them old clothes that her brother wore. Did you know about him?"

"Yeah. He died when he was twenty-two and she was fifteen. It was a car accident, wasn't it?" I nodded. "Yeah. She told me they were really close, and it took her a while to get over it."

I remembered how devistated her family was. Her dad didn't eat for like a week or two, and all her mom did was cry. Lani did the same, but she just stayed in his old room and held all of his things close to her. She told me she liked the smell of him, and it always comforted her to be in his room, espicailly when he was in college. She told me that having something of him was better than having nothing at all.

"That was a bad time for them," I said. "They were all pretty beat up about it. But Lani, she never let anybody see her looking sad."

"Yeah," he said sadly. "That was Lani."

"Where is she?" I asked. I wanted to see my cousin. She was always more like a sister to me though; we were pretty much always together. Even though we were three years apart, her being eighteen and I fifteen, we still acted the same age. Whether sometimes she'd act three years younger, or I three years older, we pretty much were the same.

I missed her. I looked up at him, and saw his eyes were red and he was fighting back tears. I decided to change the topic of discussion. "What happened to me?"

He blinked and looked at me. "Ah...um...one of those black robot things had grabbed you, and I shot at it. And you passed out so we took you to the library while Alex looked up some stuff. I fixed you up pretty well I guess."