"You represented her on a domestic violence matter. That doesn't mean she'll want you for this."

I looked at Derry. He was staring at something on my desk. I realized it was Melanie's address book, still sitting beside the phone.

"As far as I'm concerned," I said, addressing my comments to both men, trying to bring Derry back into the conversation, "she's still my client."

"Mr. Garvey's dead," Jergins said. "The case is moot, and you know it."

"Sure, the court case is moot, but I don't consider the entire matter closed," I said. "After all, your interest in her was sparked by that case. I haven't closed the file. So it's still an open case, from my standpoint, and she's still my client." Not bad, I thought. Pretty smooth, even.

Derry kept looking at the book. The plain, dark cover had nothing to connect it with Melanie, but I couldn't remember if her name was on the inside.

Jergins sneered. "Very convenient. Keeps that attorney-client privilege intact."

"You know the privilege doesn't let me help clients commit crimes."

"I know that. Maybe we should get a warrant and make sure you know that, too."

I gaped at him.

Derry coughed. "Can I talk to you a minute?" he said to Jergins. "Excuse us."

They left the office. A few minutes later, Derry returned, alone. "He's going to wait in the car."

"Is this supposed to be some weird variation on 'good cop-bad cop'? What the hell's his problem anyway?"

Derry shrugged. "Lacks a few social skills. Guess he has a thing about defense lawyers."

"You think?"

"He also thinks you know something you're not telling us."

"But you know better, right?"

"I think you're telling us everything you know," he said. "I certainly hope so."

"I am." He seemed to have lost interest in the address book. Guilt gnawed at me, but the book didn't have any answers, at least not yet.

"The man he mentioned, Christof Stavos," he said. "He is dangerous."

"I know. It's been bothering me. You really think he might hurt Melanie?"

"It's possible. Or maybe you."

"Why would he have any interest in me?"

"I don't know. Maybe for the same reason that Jergins thinks you're holding something back."

"Christof Stavos has a thing about defense attorneys, too?"

Derry toyed with his shirt cuff. "Were you talking to someone at Bruce Schaeffer's apartment?"

That blabbermouthed neighbor must have told them about me. I never gave my name, but Derry may have recognized the description.

"Yeah, I went there. I was hoping Schaeffer would know something about Melanie. Didn't pan out." I paused, then laughed uncomfortably. "There is something else. It's kind of silly."

"Go ahead."

I told him about the black Lincoln and the visit from John Drake the day before. Derry's brow furrowed, the lines growing deeper as I spoke.

"You didn't get the tag on the car, did you?" he asked.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I didn't even think of it."