Chapter 6

Detective Derry stopped by the office the next day. Jergins was with him, looking sullen and officious.

"Things aren't looking good for your client," Derry said.

"Now what?"

"Garvey's body was found in his apartment. A witness says Ms. Hayes was there that weekend, the weekend he was shot."

That creepy neighbor of Schaeffer's, I thought. "So?"

"Didn't she have a protective order against this guy? Why would she want to see him?"

It was a fair question. "I don't know, but it doesn't prove she killed him."

Derry took a deep breath. "I didn't say it proved anything."

"Maybe it was someone who looked like Melanie."

"Anything's possible. The witness identified her from a photo we found in her apartment."

"You searched her place?"

He nodded. "Yesterday."

He didn't mention the box or the state of the apartment, and I wasn't going to bring it up.

"Was there any reason for that, other than a witness' statement?"

"Fingerprints," Derry said. "We found her prints at the scene."

"How do you know they're hers?" I had to ask.

"The bank where she works routinely takes its employees prints."

I was at a loss to understand or explain it, but I didn't owe anyone any explanations. "What do you want from me?"

"I just wanted to let you know we're getting a warrant for Ms. Hayes' arrest," Derry said.

I nodded. What could I say? I'd have done the same thing in their place.

"So if you have any knowledge of Ms. Hayes' whereabouts, now would be the right time to tell us," Jergins barked.

I could understand if the FBI didn't offer courses in diplomacy, but I was starting to wonder if it should. Even Derry didn't look happy about Jergins' outburst.

"If I had any knowledge of Ms. Hayes' whereabouts," I said, keeping my voice deliberately calm. "I would have told you by now."

Jergins squinted and scowled at me.

"We thought it would be a good idea to check with you," Derry said, sounding almost conciliatory. "Just in case."

"I understand. What about the murder weapon? Were her fingerprints on that?"

"We'll discuss that at the appropriate time, Ms. McRae," Jergins said, interrupting.

Derry's eyes slid Jergins' way. His cheeks reddened, and I didn't think it was from embarrassment.

"Really?" I said. "And when did you start working for the homicide unit?"

"There's an appropriate time and place for everything." Jergins' face was tight, making his big ears stand out even more. "We'll discuss the murder weapon at that time and place."

"Now, I wonder when that would be. Maybe at the sentencing hearing?"

Derry turned away. I didn't know, but I could have sworn he stifled a smile.

"With all due respect, Ms. McRae," Jergins said. "We don't know that Ms. Hayes will hire you to represent her."

"Why not?"