Chapter 12 - Victoria

Start from the beginning

Rosaline's eyebrows scrunched together and her frown deepened. She looked like a child who'd just been told to go to bed without supper. Her anger might have been comical if you didn't know what she was capable of. Rosaline was probably one of the sweetest girls Victoria knew, but she was merciless with her enemies.

"What else do you suggest?" Rosaline snapped.

Maxwell took a moment to look pensive. Then he said:

"We convince the king to let us put wards up. Once we get his permission, the Enchanters will follow".

"That won't work. He won't be swayed. We'll have to do without his permission and hope he takes mercy on us when we save his country" Victoria said.

Maxwell looked like he couldn't believe his ears. "That's the worst plan I've ever heard. You're going to get yourself beheaded".

Victoria spoke with no fear in her eyes.

"If it is for my country. Then so be it".

"Why did I have to come again?" Rosaline said.

"Because Mrs Rhendawein will want to meet the Warrior Queens" Victoria said.

Victoria braced herself for Rosaline scolding her for not remembering Adelaide. But all she said was:

"People said there would be drawbacks to being famous".

Victoria knocked on the door three times. Nothing. Nothing but an echoing throughout the house. Her hand grasped the door knob and turned it until the door gave way. It creaked open and Victoria sucked in a breath. She expected Mrs Rhendawein to be stirring a cauldron, with vials of potions lined up the mantelpiece. But all that was there was old tattered couch with a coffee table in the middle. A half knitted jumper lay on the chair nearest to the window. Just an ordinary house. That was the illusion.

"Some poor lost souls seemed to have wandered into my home" a voice rang throughout the house.

"Vicky" Rosaline trembled.

A woman appeared at the end of the room. Victoria didn't see where from. The woman looked ordinary herself. She could be someone's mother. She wore a smart pressed suit and had rollers in her hair.

"What may I help you with, my dears?" she said.

"Are you Mrs Rhendawein?" Victoria said with more confidence than she felt.

"You have found her" Mrs Rhendawein smiled.

"We would like to request-"

Mrs Rhendawein held up her hand, silencing Victoria. Her mouth slammed shut against her will.

"Before we start I must ask for a payment upfront. Oh, and also that you sign a contract promising you will not have me arrested".

"We are not committing to a blood oath" Rosaline exclaimed.

"A blood oath? I said no such thing. Now come come. I have other clients"

"I don't know about this, Vicky" Rosaline said.

It was your idea Victoria wanted to say, but no words came out. Her mouth opened and closed but all that came out was air. Rosaline's mouth parted open in surprise and her eye twitched. Victoria knew that look. It was look Rosaline had before she went full Warrior Queen on someone.

"You witch! What have you done to her?" Rosaline screamed.

"Now now. Calm down. I merely silenced her for the duration of this meeting. Your friend could do with giving her mouth a rest" Mrs Rhendawein said. "Now, shall we proceed?"