Chapter Eight: Promises

Start from the beginning

"She died nearly two years ago, when she came back," he said, leaning against the edge of the table.

Erica made a scoffing sound from the kitchen and Derek shot her a glare.

"I'm going to assume that it wasn't an accident then," Cora said and Derek looked down at his hands. "I'm not a ten year old anymore, what happened?"

"You weren't the only one to survive the fire," Derek began, launching into the story of what had happened to Peter in that house, and what led him to kill his niece in lust for power.

Somewhere in the middle of the story Erica leant on the bench in the kitchen to listen in, never really having heard it all straight from Derek's lips.

Cora stayed stoic, giving him the occasional nod as she took in his words and giving nothing away.

"I don't know where he is now, but I wouldn't put much effort into finding out either," Derek said.

"Sounds like there's been a lot happening here since I've been gone," she said.

The town was never quiet, even when you were here last," Derek said.

"Then I've got a lot to catch up on," she said.

"So... you're staying then?" Erica asked. "Like, indefinitely?"

"For now," she said with a look over at Erica.

She knew that she was Derek's sister and that she shouldn't be untrusting because it made sense that she would want to come back to the family she thought was dead, but there was something about her that she just didn't like.

"There's a spare room upstairs, where have you been staying?" Derek asked and Erica raised an eyebrow at him.

"Whoa, hold on, she's back for like ten minutes and you're inviting her to stay? Here?" she said before she could stop herself. "I know she's your sister but come on, you should know better than to trust old family members who show up out of the blue."

"Erica," Derek growled.

"Am I wrong though?" she said. "She's been in South America for what, eight years?"

"I'm standing right here," Cora said as she and Erica exchanged a cautious glance.

"Yeah, and is that really a good idea?"

"Erica enough," Derek said. "I never said I would give her a key, I asked if she needed a place to stay."

"Thank you," Cora said with a look back towards Erica. "Relax, I get it. I wouldn't trust me either."

Erica scowled a little before they were both turning to Derek.

"You're welcome to stay," he said to Cora and Erica made a sound to his left. "And you're welcome to go if you don't like my decision."

She just narrowed her eyes and walked slowly towards the door.

"Do you ever take advice from anyone who's not Stiles?" she said before heading out.

Derek sighed to himself and Cora just watched her go.

"Is she always like that?" she asked.

"She's just worried, she's seen what kind of things can happen when you trust people from your past without questioning it," he said. "She'll come round."

"I know it doesn't mean a lot, I mean words are just words..." she said, her expression softening. "I came back because I thought that I might have some family still alive, I haven't seen anyone from home since the fire. I just... If there was a chance..."