Chapter Three: Continuance

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you like this one - I love reading your comments, you guys make writing worth it! xo

Follow BekkaChaos on Twitter for extra bits of information on the story and sneak peaks!

~ ~ ~

Erica leant against one of the pillars downstairs from the loft, foot tapping impatiently.

It had been hard to deal with at the beginning, being alone, and then it had gotten a little better. Now that she'd had time to adjust it was driving her crazy.

Derek sometimes seemed like he was trying to be a friend, but he was twice as awkward as anyone else she had ever met and she knew he was no good as a one on one companion. The only person left when she didn't head up to meet Stiles was Isaac.

The two of them had a somewhat love-hate relationship. They bickered like brother and sister but they knew that they would both be loyal to a fault with one another. Still, they irritated each other to no end when they did spend time together.

When she finally smelt his familiar scent she rolled her eyes and made a loud tutting sound with her tongue.

"Jesus, didn't think it would take you that long to get out of bed in the morning," she said as she saw him approaching.

"Well it's a little harder when there's someone else in there with you," he said.

"Uh huh," she said with a raised eyebrow and her eyes darting to his jeans for a moment.

"Keep your mind out of the gutter," he said. "And my bedroom."

"Please, don't flatter yourself," she said. "Are we going or what?"

"Yes," he said. "I'm here to do this, you think I have nothing better to do?"

"Wow, thanks so much for that Isaac," she said with a roll of her eyes.

He almost felt bad for that last comment. He'd probably feel worse if he wasn't sure Erica would come back with something twice as bad later on in the day.

They headed out to the main stretch of town, not too far a walk from the loft.

"You heard a lot from Boyd?" Isaac asked as they walked.

Erica shrugged.

"A little, he's just outside Portland at the moment. I think he's on some kind of trail but who knows."

"You kind of wishing you went with him?" Isaac asked.

Boyd had asked Erica if she wanted to go with him and she had declined. It wasn't because she didn't think it could be fun, but more because she was afraid of all the things that she still feared - that she was only invited because everyone was worried she wouldn't be able to cope by herself.

She sometimes wondered how they came to that conclusion about her. She had spent the majority of her life alone, no friends and not much of a family for support. Being alone had once been her sanctuary, the place where she didn't have to hear what everyone said about her.

And it wasn't the solidarity that bothered her anyway, it was that she had no idea where her path was leading. She was stuck staring at the road while everyone else had already run ahead on their own.

She lifted her shoulders a little, "Not really, I'd probably just complain."

"I can believe that," Isaac said as they neared the main street. "So what kind of job are you actually looking for?"

"Anything I suppose," she said. "I don't know, I went from having absolutely no job prospects to having the pick of the lot, well, except all the really intellectual stuff. God knows I'm not exactly the brightest person in the world."