Chapter Sixteen-Damian

"No, I refuse to let this plan come to existence!" Fabian yelled. He had already drank one glass of beer, and their were still three more to go. "Greyson, are you insane?! No, your not insane, your just an asshole!" Diana yelled. I clutched my fists, but kept my face emotionless. "If you'd like, Diana, Fabian, I can kill him right here, right now" I said. Greyson's eyes widened for a split second, but he laughed shortly after. "Ha, I can't believe a dumb prince who has barely had experience in combat can even think of challenging me!" Greyson said, boasting all over himself.

Greyson's plan was insane, and I would do no matter what to make the plan die within his brain. He suggested to unleash the demonic side in Merline and have her kill off the shadow beasts. It was too risky, and I knew Merline would be hurt in the end. "Come on Greyson, you aren't actually serious about this plan....right?" Liana asked, her voice filled with fear. "Well of course I'm serious!" Greyson said. I clutched my fists tightly. "Merline is young, and she'll only get hurt in the end. She's already hurt enough, and if you want to try to do anything else to harm her even more, you'll have to go through me first" I said, making my voice sound angry.

Fabian's eyes widened, and Diana lightly gasped. I had never used anger in my words around them, so I knew that they were shocked. But Liana lightly smiled, knowing that I care. Diana looked almost...afraid, but Fabian was a bit tipsy, so I couldn't see his real emotions. Merline, who was standing beside me, looked up at me with her wide eyes. I looked down at her and lightly smiled. She blushed and looked towards the ground. "I...yes, I say the same thing as well! Your not going near her without going through me!" Diana said.

"Y-yeah!" Fabian said, raising his third beer glass and gulping it down. "Greyson, I am afraid that everyone is right. It's just too risky. After all, Merline is just a child, and her demon is too powerful" Ash said. "Aww, you guys are no fun" Greyson moaned, sitting in a chair and resting his hand on his chin. "Fun? You think this is fun?!" Diana yelled. She slapped Greyson upside the head, and he clenched his eyes shut in pain. Then, he laughed. "You hit like a bitch" Greyson said. Diana growled and smacked him across the face, sending him flying across the room.

"Please, I know you are upset, but we cannot resort to violence!" Ash said. Diana glared at Greyson one last time, then sat in her seat. Fabian had finished all of his beer, and he was wobbling across the room. Merline had fear in her eyes, and she was hiding behind me. Liana was sitting next to Ash, shocked at what had just happened. Greyson stood up and rubbed his head. "We're going to have to think of a different plan, one that doesn't involve getting my family hurt" I said. Merline glanced up at me and blushed, but I had no response to it. I wanted to show Merline emotion, but I had already reached my limit.

"Well does anybody else have any idea on what we're supposed to do about these shadow beasts?" Greyson yelled angrily. "I...I can do it, guys. I can defeat them..." Merline quietly said. Before Diana and Fabian could react, I did. "No, Merline. I came here to protect my family, and you are a part of that. I won't let you risk yourself and get hurt" I said. Merline blushed and lightly smiled. "We should rest for now, and we'll decide in the morning" Ash said. We nodded in agreement. After a few minutes, Fabian passed out on the couch, snoring loudly.

We let Ash have the bed, since he was still injured. Fabian and Diana shared one of the sofas, and Liana laid beside Ash, since she was worried about him. Merline and I were on the other sofa together. She seemed like she was asleep, but I sat straight up, not tired in the slightest bit. After about an hour or two, I still couldn't sleep. I simply sat on the couch, emotionless and still. "Damian...you should really try sleeping" said a voice. I looked next to me to see Merline, wide awake. Her big eyes were staring right up at me.

She was laying down on the couch, but her legs were curled up so I could have room, and a red blanket covered her body. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?" I asked. "No, it's impossible for you to wake me...you haven't moved an inch in two hours..." She said, yawning. "Why are you awake?" I asked. "The voices of the ghosts and demons...they keep me awake.." She quietly said. "Oh...I'm sorry" I responded. Merline lightly blushed and glanced around the room.

"Damian...may I tell you something?" Merline asked. "Anything you wish to say, say it, please" I said. Merline lightly blushed again. "I....I sense...magic within you" she said. I looked at her and asked, "what do you mean?" "I...I see shadow magic, running through your blood, your cells....I sense it" she said. I stared at her for a few minutes before talking. "Truthfully, I couldn't say that I am surprised, because it would be a lie" I said. Merline's eyes widened, and she sat up and stared at me with shock.

"You see, my mother Alexandria wielded shadow magic, and her father did as well, our grandfather. If I inherited it from them, I wouldn't be surprised. However, I am surprised that I haven't realized it yet" I said. "Aunt Alexandria and grandfather wield shadow magic?" Merline asked. I nodded. Merline's eyes widened in amazement. "I...maybe I can teach you to use it, since...you know...I have shadow magic of my own..." Merline quietly said. Her face turned red, and she was blushing madly. I lightly smiled at her.

"Now that I know that I wield this type of magic, I would love to have control of it. Yes, I would like you to teach me on this journey" I said. Merline smiled. "Alright, we wake at dawn and practice the art of shadow!" She said excitedly. I lightly smiled again, and she blushed. Then, I picked up a couch pillow and placed it on my lap. "Here, rest your head on this. You'll have more room, and maybe you'll sleep better" I said. "I...but what about you?" Merline asked, blushing madly. "I'm comfortable in this position, trust me. Now please rest your head, I insist" I said.

Merline slowly scooted over and rested her head on the pillow on my lap. I pulled her blanket up to her shoulders, and she blushed. Then, she closed her eyes and fell asleep in an instant. After a few minutes, I fell asleep as well.