Chapter Four-Damian

When I'm not with my family, I feel as if life is a big waste of time. I get sick of being told what to do, and I hate the idea of becoming king someday. It's such a drag to think about. But now that my cousins and uncle were here, my life didn't seem so boring anymore. I was pretty pissed on the inside when they barely recognized me and Liana. Or maybe they just didn't care. But even though she didn't say anything, I knew that Merline remembered me. She stared at me when she came in the castle with Fabian and Diana. Last time I saw her, she was little. Now she was so big.

Diana and Fabian looked a lot different too. They were taller and more mature of course, but they had a different attitude, unlike me. I always had the typical not caring attitude. Mother told us to give our cousins a tour of the castle, so we did. We showed them to their rooms and showed them where everything around the castle was. Truly, everything felt awkward, but I didn't bother to sort things out, for it would make things weirder than they already were. Diana and Merline were supposed to share a room, so I led them to theirs and Liana led Fabian to his across the hall.

When I showed them their rooms, they put their luggage next to their beds. "Thank you for the tour, Damian" Diana said. I nodded and stayed expressionless. I usually kept a poker face. I didn't like people reading my emotions. "Damian, can you watch Merline? I need to use the restroom" Diana said. I nodded, and Diana walked into the bathroom. Merline sat on her bed and looked at the floor. I felt bad for her, such a young girl going through so much trouble, but I didn't let my sorrow show. I kept my poker face on. I hadn't even heard her speak since she had came. But in a second, that changed.

"Are their ghosts here?" Merline asked. I looked at her and said, "huh?" "Ghosts, you know, ghosts. Spirits and such" Merline said. She was looking straight at me with her stormy eyes. "I...don't believe so" I said. Merline's expression softened. "That's a relief. I'm tired of them talking to me. The spirits. They appear to me in my dreams, and during the day too" she said. "....do they?" I said. Merline nodded. "Sometimes their kind. But other times, their mean and they
make fun of me" she said. My first thoughts were that she was crazy, but I would t let that expression show. I couldn't let her find out that I thought that.

"Well, I can assure you that their are no ghosts here. And if their were, I'd make sure that they wouldn't make fun of you" I said. Merline lightly smiled. Then, Diana walked out of the bathroom. "Sister, I'd like to explore those woods near the castle" Merline said. "I'm sorry Merline, but we can't. We have to stay here in the castle. It's dangerous to go out there" Diana said. "Why can't I just go alone?" Merline asked, standing up. "I'm sorry Merline, but you know dad and mom's rules. You can't go anywhere alone" Diana responded. Diana looked at me. "I'm getting Fabian...watch her again" she said. I nodded, and Diana left.

Merline sat on her bed and sighed. I felt bad for her again. I wanted her to be happy. I wanted everyone to be happy in my family. It pained me to see anyone who was a part of my family hurt or sad. "Merline...I can take you to those woods if you'd like. I've been there millions of times with my mother, your aunt" I said. Merline looked at me, and her eyes widened. "You'd take me there?" She asked. I nodded. Merline lightly smiled. "Can we go late tonight? When it's dark?" She asked. I thought for a moment. "Well, why not now?" I asked.

"Because, Fabian Diana and father will be worried and go searching for me. I don't want them finding out that I'm going to the woods with you" she said. I nodded. "Alright then. Come get me tonight when your siblings and father falls asleep" I said. "Do you promise?" Merline asked. "Promise? Promise what?" I asked. "Do you promise you'll take me, and that your not lying?" She asked. She held out her arm, and then made her hand into a fist, only her pinky finger was out. I slowly latched my pinky finger onto hers. "I promise" I said.

"Thank you" she said, letting go. I put my arm back to my side. "I sense something in that forest. Theirs something there. I can feel it" she said. I didn't respond. Merline was truly crazy, but I'd take her to that forest anyway. It was bad for her to be cooped up in a building all day, and I could imagine that that's all she did at home. Diana walked back inside with Fabian and Liana by her side. "Come on Merline, let's go see mom" Diana said, kindly smiling at Merline. Merline stood up, and we followed Liana to the royal hospital.

When we arrived, we saw Niamh looking over Ryia. Simon, mother and father were standing around her too. "She's in an induced coma. It's a spell that put her in this coma. This is magic that's beyond even me" Niamh said. "what kind of magic is it then? Tell me!" Simon said worryingly. "It's....it's dark magic" Niamh said. "Then the rumors are true" Father quietly said. Mother nodded and said, "he's finally back. The Demon King". "The who?" I asked. Mother lightly gasped, and she, father, Niamh and Simon looked at us. They had obviously not known we were standing there.

"Kids! I see that your tour is over!" Simon said. "Yeah...the castle is nice" Fabian said. Mother smiled. "I'm glad you like it" she said. They were changing the subject. I looked down to see Merline looking up at me. She looked concerned, and I was too. I knew that we were the only two paying attention. Only we had heard mother mention the man called the Demon King. And I was going to find out who he was.