Valentine's day

'Hey Kirstie, guess what day it is...
Valentine's Day! You excited for today? I bet Jeremy's gonna propose!'

Kirstie read Mitch's text over and over again. Why? Why couldn't he understand that she was more interested in Mitch than Jeremy?

Kirstie decided to not reply, and got ready for rehearsals. Mitch would be there, so she could talk to him in person later on.
The soprano rolled her eyes as she thought of Valentine's Day, and was dreading having to see Jeremy today.

Yeah, she was supposed to spend Valentine's Day with her boyfriend, but Kirstie didn't feel like it. Truth is, she stopped feeling that little spark around Jeremy.

She didn't want to admit it, but Kirstie got bored of her boyfriend.
Kirstie got that little feeling around someone else...

As she got deep into thought, her phone rang; pulling her out of her trance.

"Hello?"
"Hey Kirstie!" Her best friend greeting excitedly.
"Mitch, happy Valentine's Day!" Kirstie replied, faking the enthusiasm.
"Happy Valentine's Day! How are you, princess?"

Kirstie shook her head, slightly annoyed at Mitch for doing these cute little things for her. He'll never love her, after all.

"I'm good, how's yourself?"
"Could be better. I'm all alone today." An idea came to Kirstie.

"Mitch, that's alright. You have me, don't you?"
Mitch laughed on the other end of the line.
"Kirst, you have someone. Plus, we'll only ever be friends."
Kirstie could feel an aching feeling, like her heart shattered inside her chest.
"Yeah, I guess."

Kirstie had a hard time saying those words, but had to cover up the struggle with a smile.

Mitch sat alone in his house, quietly for a while.

On the other hand, Kirstie got a coat and shoes on, and left her home.

"So... What time is Jeremy coming over to see you?" Mitch asked, attempting to break the awkward silence.

Kirstie thought about what she was doing for a moment, before responding.

"I don't think he'll be coming over today."

"What?! Why?" Kirstie smiled sadly, and let out a breath.

"I don't want to see him today. It's hard to explain..." Mitch quietly accepted this, but thought to himself 'Why happened between Kirstie and Jeremy?'

"Why not? What'd you argue about? Don't say it's nothing, I know you Kirst." Kirstie laughed quietly, he may not know her as much as he thought he did.

"It's actually nothing. I just..."
Kirstie couldn't bring herself to finish her sentence.
"You just what?" Mitch had no idea what was going on.

"Just forget it. I'll tell you later."
"Yeah, we have rehearsals today, don't we?"
Kirstie smiled as soon as she turned and walked down a familiar street.

"Yup, we do."
"I guess I have to wait an hour and a half to know this secret you're keeping." Mitch said. "Wait, are you going somewhere?"

Kirstie's smile vanished. Her plans could be ruined!

"Why would you think that?"
Mitch laughed. "I can hear you walking, princess."
Kirstie face palmed, almost dropping her phone in the progress.