(32) Burns And Bruises |Scarlet's POV|

Fallon's Grove was a small town, just a tiny dot on the map you would find only if you were looking for it, and then, after taking forever to locate it, you'd waste even more time to navigate your way there.

But once there, you'd never manage to escape. It was like a death trap, like a chamber of torture with no locks to let you out.

Running in circles, I was back where I'd started. Fleeing to come back. I was done running. I was done putting a mask on my face.

Chances?

Once again he wasn't letting me keep a semblance of dignity. Giving him chances was total bullcrap.

The pack was waiting. Maybe he was the one who informed them about our arrival – my return. Or he could have asked one of his men do it in his stead, but fact was fact. They were waiting.

"Luna," a man greeted me. A few quiet snickers reached my ear.

The pack wolves were angling their heads down in a show of welcome almost like I really was their luna but they were mocking me too.

This is it, I thought. Rock bottom.

I felt like I was a prostitute who was selling herself to him. I had to remember why I was subjecting myself to this. Why did I agree to this?

No one ever asked me. They expected and demanded. Every single person in my life, except the dead who couldn't help me now. I had to find a way on my own, but running was not it.

The crowd in front of the house parted to let us pass. Even with their heads bowed, I could still feel their eyes hot and judgmental on my back. They were making me itch with that gnawing on skin sensation.

Are they waiting for me to crack? Are they expecting a scene?

Every step of the way their disapproving eyes tracked the movements of our group or perhaps just mine.

I had to still myself before I reached to take his hand. I had to remember who he was and what he did. I couldn't lean on him like Jazmine leaned on her mate. It was not what Regan and I had.

Dragging my tired limbs inside, every inch further felt like walking into a nightmare. Padding onto the hardwood floor, following Alpha as he led the way, I saw fire.

The ghosts of the past waking from memory, shadowy forms flickered behind my retinas, eyes that watched yet did not see what laid in front of them. Those were my eyes.

My voice was just a whisper no one ever heard. It was screaming. My sobs were loud in my head, my voice the same as of a woman being taken to the gallows. No one listened. No one cared.

Every corner of this house felt tainted. Every step I took put more weight on my body. My heart raced in a painfully rapid cadence.

Returning after having left this place behind hurt more than I'd expected.

There were so many ghosts here, so many memories I'd rather forget. I couldn't.

I went further, retracing the old path. Somehow, the stony facade on my face was still holding. Not a single muscle moved as quiet sobs raked everything inside. Every step of the way I could feel his eyes on me.

"Let's get you all settled," he said once we stood in front of the staircase. Turning toward Jason, he gave him a slight nod. No words were exchanged aloud, but his third-in-command obviously got the hint.

A moment later, he turned toward Cole and said, "Alpha will show Scarlet to her room meanwhile let me give you the grand tour and show you to yours."