"We'll talk about that tomorrow." He wrinkled up his nose slightly, and I could tell I still smelled like vomit. He looked at Sitri disapprovingly. "For now, take a long, warm bath, and go to bed." He nodded at Sitri and turned his back. This audience was over. I blinked my eyes slowly. I wasn't finished with him yet, but a bath sounded delicious, so I let Sitri lead me back to the hallway. We took another flight of stairs up to the second floor. The house was built around a central courtyard, with large windows on the inner walls looking out, and heavy gold-framed portraits on the outer walls.

The house was eerie and silent at night, and the open space hung around me like a shroud. I was relieved when Sitri opened one of the door and gestured inside. "Your room," he said. The room was small and cozy, but as richly decorated as the rest of the house. It had a princess sized canopy bed, with four curling pillars, a reading chair with a small table near the window, and an antique desk—the kind that folds out and opens. On the other side of the room was a vanity set, with a bench and a mirror. I imagined this is what a nice European five-star hotel would look like. Or a castle. What was I doing here?

Sitri showed me a side door, which led to a large bathroom. The large bathtub had lion's feet for legs. A mirror went across most of the wall between the cabinets. "I have my own bathroom?" I asked.

"Almost." Sitri walked across the bathroom and opened another door on the other side. I caught a glimpse of purple and black satin sheets before he shut the door again. "My room. Right next door, in case you need any help."

Help with what, taking a bath? I pictured Sitri gently stroking my shoulders with a foamy sponge, and then kissing my neck as I moaned in ecstasy. I shook my head to clear the image. I was seriously losing it.

"Help, like you helped Dennis?" I shot back at him. "No thanks." I slammed the door and pressed my back against it. I couldn't let myself forget that Sitri killed someone and kidnapped me. No matter how opulent and comfortable my new surroundings. I heard him sigh, then turn on the bath water.

"If you knew what he was thinking—what he planned to do to you..." I had a pretty good idea. "Plus, this way you know that Sarah is safe. You don't have to worry about her." He was right about that. If I knew Dennis was still alive, I'd be frantic to get back to JDRI to protect Sarah and Jessie.

When I poked my head into the bathroom a few minutes later, the mirrors were covered in steam. I sank into the tub like a piece of butter on mashed potatoes. I hadn't had a bath since I was a little girl, and I could feel knots in my black melting away. I scrubbed my hair with shampoo that smelled like lavender and thyme, washing away years of anxiety. The bed was a cloud that carried me off to sleep as soon as I tucked myself under the crisp white sheets. I didn't know where I was, or why I was here, but I felt more at home than I'd ever felt before.

***

I awoke to the smell of coffee. I thought it was coming from the kitchen, but when I went downstairs, the smell led me into a grand dining room with a long wooden table filled with food.

I filled up a place with fresh pastries, fried eggs, toast with strawberry jam, and washed it down with fresh espresso and orange juice. I felt like the little match girl, I had to eat before it all disappeared. I felt a little guilty that Sarah and Jessie weren't here to enjoy it with me.

"What are you wearing?" Sitri said, coming in the room. He filled a plate up with eggs and sausages.

I looked down at the sweats he'd given me last night.

"Um, the only clothes I have?"

"Sorry, I must have forgot to tell you. Check your closet, you should find something more appropriate to wear inside. Then meet me back here. Able's been waiting for you to wake up."